How do you guys feel about synthetics on a damascus knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
OK, I have gotten in the habit of using natural materials in my knives over the past 10 years or so, mostly because that is what worked. I really like stabilized woods and they work well, but how do you feel about synthetics on a damascus knife?
Just asking because it might give me more options for handles; nuclear fallout green anyone? :eek2:

I'm for it. G10 ferrules and nuclear green micarta scales anyone? (are we calling micarta synthetic)?
Seriously though, I think it can be great!

Natural materials are just more elegant and unique. I have no problem with synthetic per se but if it looks/feels like plastic (basically cheap), I wouldn't go for that. I'd rather go with a chunk of wood with zero figure to it than a chunk of plastic-looking stuff any day.

Natural materials are just more elegant and unique. I have no problem with synthetic per se but if it looks/feels like plastic (basically cheap), I wouldn't go for that. I'd rather go with a chunk of wood with zero figure to it than a chunk of plastic-looking stuff any day.
+1 on that.

I have tried them both and prefer the look and feel of natural materials 100 percent. Where damascus is concerned I think natural wood grains complement the patterns more than anything else.

I prefer wood, or other natural materials, even if they are stabilized and/or dyed.

But Butch makes his own Micarta in some interesting colors and patterns. That might be an exception to my rule however.

I generally like natural handles, but the white corian synthetic ivory with nice spacers and pins can look pretty cool IMO. I also don't mind synthetic handles on knives that are exclusively used for meat. It is just me being neurotic, but I hate using harsher sanitation on my nice wood. If I get a new boning knife, I might consider synthetic.

k.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer wood, but synthetics can look and feel great, when done properly.

I'm a big fan of natural materials, but I wouldn't turn down something just because it's not natural. As mentioned Butch makes some fantastic micarta, and I've never heard anyone say anything negative about the "starry night" pattern he makes in particular. Most of the commercial stuff I see makes me yawn though. I like unique and different, whether it be natural or man made.

Haven't I seen glow-in-the-dark scales somewhere? ;) I like playing with all kinds of materials, but I keep coming back to wood or other natural materials (like mammoth ivory). The one exception may be old bakelite, but micarta, G10 or that carbon stuff don't do anything for me.

Stefan

I tend to veer towards natural materials... (wood, bone, etc.) but if the right handle came along... well... :jawdrop:
Maybe you should give it a try!

I won't turn my nose up at anything that's synthetic, I really like the way my corian nenox handles feel. I also really like the way that wooden handles feel.

Stefan - I really like bakelite, especially on spatula handles.

I like micarta, especially if going for a more contemporary look with the overall design of the damascus.

Latest posts

Back