Thread: how to touch up knife handles

how to touch up knife handles

Hi,

I have a question for you - knife handle makers or experts;
    All my knives have natural wood (not stabilized) handles and I have maintained them with either Camelia oil or boiled linseed oil, which worked out quite okay for me so far.
    A couple of my recent purchase have minor crack lines and some pores as well on (wa) handles .
    I am not sure if rubbing it with the two oil mentioned above would give enough protection.
    How would you take care of the handles in this situation?
    Is there any substance that I can use to fill in the cracks and pores first before I sand the surface to smooth it out and apply the oil on it?

Thanks.

Engorged Member
    I use board butter(bees wax and mineral oil) on all of my handles, stabilized and non stablilized. It fills in the cracks fine.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

You could use CA glue (superglue) for a more permanent solution if the cracks are large enough; followed by sanding and your regular treatment.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

OK. Thanks.
    I will try the CA glue.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    I use board butter(bees wax and mineral oil) on all of my handles, stabilized and non stablilized. It fills in the cracks fine.
    I just got a few blocks of beeswax to use in conjunction with mineral oil for handles and cutting board. Can you tell me what ratio to use when mixing them?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    I just got a few blocks of beeswax to use in conjunction with mineral oil for handles and cutting board. Can you tell me what ratio to use when mixing them?
    Thanks.
    I use one part beeswax to four parts mineral oil by weight.

Thank you mucho señor.