Leather Knife Case

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDelicious

Reaction score
I'm not real happy with the knife cases I see and really don't like knife rolls.
They take up way too much room to be of much use where I work.

In considering making a leather case, (I have access to a leather shop) obviously there will be "slots" to put each knife.
Do you think it's better to store the knives by slipping in the blade end or store them slipping in the handle end?

Obviously if the blade end goes in first the leather would have to be thick to prevent cutting thru the case unless each knife has a guard.

If the handle end goes in first, the "slots" need to be roomy enough to handle a .... handle :)

Just wonder how you picture the perfect knife case. In my current nylon case, I store them handle-end IN and blades (with guards) exposed.

Thanks for your thoughts

Yeah those Steve Goodson ones look amazing, he used to be a vendor here so I'd say he's a good guy

I have one from Steve Goodson and it is the best investment I have made, besides the knives themselves.

Those are beautiful but exactly what I am NOT wanting. LOL
Thanks for the input and the link.

I'm looking for something with a smaller footprint when open.
I need to be able to open it up, slip a knife in or out and close it back up quickly, without taking up too much room.

Call Steve-He'll make you exactly what you want. He likes doing custom stuff.

How many knives do you usually take to work? Do you take other tools as well?

Also, are you transporting any cleavers? I had to give up the roll style when I got the cleaver bug. That canvas roll does look nice though. Might have to pick one up for my other utensils.

I do remember reading somewhere that leather was not good for long term storage, but... What about leather scabbards? I have a few tactical knives stored in them, SS and carbon, and never ha a problem. Not that it's really relevant, just saying after that last post

Gents and ladies, just so I am clear, I remember that leather is only good for short term or daily use applications. Not for long term, correct? Something with the oils and acids affecting the steel.

Not the case...it depends on how the leather is cured. Using sayas negates most if not all of the reactivity issues.

Using my roll for well over a year now and now problems with storage, carbon and stainless.

Back