Quantcast
New Ken Onion line/ vendor complaints about reviews - Page 10
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ken Onion line/ vendor complaints about reviews

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    So ya went to buy one. Not out for sale yet. prob. gonna go for some reps first.
    Chewie's the man.

I too have used the Shun Onion 10" gyuto and would give this a go for comparison. I say we should offer a fair critique of this blade on our own for Ken to digest since he isn't allowed to engage the community as an active salesman/craftsman. Ken if you are reading, please consider our fair and honest reviews of your blade as merely a constructive criticism. The combined wealth of experienced knife users in this pool of users is quite vast. This is a good opportunity to garner some excellent feedback.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I'm only interested in trying one that doesn't have the terrible handle. The KO Shuns have blades better than Cut Brooklyn, for instance, but those handles just ruin things.

I use a rocking cut mainly and it works.
    that's the thing though, practically none of us here rock cut/chops. we pretty much do this:

the master salty at work

I'd suggest you try the knives. The guys at ChefWorks know what they are doing, as does Ken. It might not jive with what you know or have done and heck it may not work for professional chefs, but I know a lot of knife guys who were blown away by them. Me included.
    whether it be the pros or the folks at home who are members here, when we say it doesn't work for us. it really doesn't. and i have mentioned earlier, ken's products just are marketed and sold to people who, well..... are apples. we're the oranges. as to apples to oranges. try doing the same motions with your knives on the video and see if it works for you. you'll find out that you'll end up wanting a different kind of knife when doing those cutting motions instead of rocking your knife, it just doesn't work for us. watch pros in the kitchen, the really good ones do not rock chop, they barely do, if at all.

here's a couple of other videos on cutting motions and knife grips:

with certain grips and cutting motions, Ken's designs are well... prohibitive.

then there's the rocking motion that is, well... forced on you due to the design of the knife, it's a nightmare on the edge if you weigh down on your knife a lot. aside from the fact that that kind of cutting motion is slower than what you can do with what we would be able to do the way we do things.

there's no question that his knives are great, they're just not great for us. also that his knives sell well, even without us buying his knives and designs. we're not saying that we demand that we be appeased or whatever, it's just that maybe he could listen to what we would want to see in knives to be incorporated in his designs. and it might actually help him get a larger audience, meaning including us.

do notice the shapes of the knives in the videos included, they're way flatter, on the first video the knife salty used was nearly almost flat. even those that do have belly, actually have a much flatter middle / mid-rear area to making better contact with the food being cut and the board.

Are you serious? This guy gets abused and mocked on this thread and gets banned when he responds? What is going on here? As a member I am disappointed and embarrassed about this. This kind of bs doesn't bother anyone else?

Are you serious? This guy gets abused and mocked on this thread and gets banned when he responds? What is going on here? As a member I am disappointed and embarrassed about this. This kind of bs doesn't bother anyone else?
    i know i am, thank you for actually letting it be heard. embarrassed is the very least of what i'm feeling here. specially from a successful knife maker / designer like Ken. You are not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    i know i am, thank you for actually letting it be heard. embarrassed is the very least of what i'm feeling here. specially from a successful knife maker / designer like Ken. You are not the only one.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotchef38 View Post
    I agree.

I didn't flip the switch on Ken but I know enough to comment so I figured I'd throw in what I can to help you understand what's happened/happening here with regards to Ken's situation.

Ken banned himself. He violated the terms of use in several ways, first he created a user account in his business name, then he commented negatively on the negative reviews that his products were/are receiving here, and finally he acted in an ungentlemanly manner with his responses. This was all from his first and second posts - meaning he was here ONLY to stop his bad press - not to contribute to the KKF community in anyway positive.

Now he's enlisted the help of 2 friends, or has created fake accounts himself (one has the same IP address as his), to come in here to further stir the pot - nothing else.

in his defense, we did bombard him here and his business name also happens to be the name he goes by

He was a member for a year and never once contributed a single word before commenting on his products. He's obviously not interested in contributing to the community. If he's here to read and study then he can still do that but he won't be jumping into his product reviews anymore.