Quantcast
New Ken Onion line/ vendor complaints about reviews - Page 19
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: New Ken Onion line/ vendor complaints about reviews

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Nothing worse than having someone on the phone with a deep southern accent that no one can understand. Some people can pull it off, but most NO WAY. (which I find sad)
    Chewie's the man.

I love my ken onion shun chef knife, it feels great in my hand sharp as can be . Ken your the man, I will go one better I like the onion better then the Kramer, I'm looking to cell my brand new bob Kramer Z 10 inch chef knife 360 if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Fran Rendina View Post
    I love my ken onion shun chef knife, it feels great in my hand sharp as can be . Ken your the man, I will go one better I like the onion better then the Kramer, I'm looking to cell my brand new bob Kramer Z 10 inch chef knife 360 if anyone is interested.
    interesting use of the language.

What are mats?

Quote Originally Posted by Fran Rendina View Post
    Ummm...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    the profile of that knife makes my wrist hurt, just looking at it. I really love the part where she is describing the knife as having no dragging or tearing, while cutting an eggplant in which it's clearly dragging a lot. Nice looking espresso machine, though!
    Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    It didn't look that 'easy' to cut through that onion based on how her guide hand was shaking to hold said onion in place. Truth in advertising...
    Agreed on both points. I've never seen any of the professionals around here who push cut have to draw the knife back like that just to make sure there's no connecting product left. Welcome to the world of pregnant belly knives. On the onion cut...yeah, guide hand shaking and a blade that won't bite enough not to slip off...and then steer out once its in the cut. I could see that with some types of product, maybe (big maybe?)...but an onion?

I'll pass.

Cool finish though. Kinda.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

ken onions are for culinary graduates. lets keep it that way please.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

hopefully culinary grads learnt something at school and will stay away from that blade. Home cooks that know nothing about a good knife will gravitate towards a ken onion.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    What are mats?
    Dunno, I was wondering the same thing. Whatever they are, when you spend 3-4hrs hacking at them w/ a Shun, you get and owie on your pinkie finger. Thank Jebus Ken came along with this new series, which I'm sure will solve this problem. They may not look so good when cutting an onion in that video (ironic), but I'm sure that they will work REALLY well on "mats", which, once you become an expert in a few years, you'll discover are the true bain of the kitchen pro.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I was at a large, local independant kitchen store (kitchen window in MSP) and was surprised to see that they had a pretty large selection of the new Onion Rain knives.
    It was near the end of the day and I didn't want to waste too much of the staff's time, so I didn't take many pics, but I did give them a pretty thorough once over.

Sometimes I really hate being right, but pretty much everything that I feared these knives to be was confirmed: horrible profiles (with the exception of the regular paring; they didnt have the reverse model): ridiculous handles, and almost meat-cleaver thick behind the edge.

To Lamson's credit; it looks like they did a good job executing a terrible design. Every contour of the turd handles where smooth, symmetrical, well finished and well attached to the blades. Neither the spines or choils were eased, but the weird "rain" finish was executed cleanly, and the blades all appeared true/strait and the distal tapers where even. As I said, the grinds where thick and ugly, but I have no idea if that was to Ken's spec or not, but if he got so many (much simpler) parts of the design so wrong, I'm willing to assume that he didn't know what the grind and thickness behind the edge should look like either.

These knives are worse than the Shuns.

This was perhaps one of the strongest emotional reactions I've ever had to seeing a knife and it was certainly the most negative. Seeing these knives actually made me both sad and pissed off. All of the elements are there to make a game-changing line of American knives: Great materials, skilled manufacturing, a famous name, great distribution / sales network, and it was all ruined by stupid, ignorant, arrogant, wrong-headedness. What a ******* joke and what an inexcusable waste of an opportunity that much more deserving designers would have killed for.
    Please avoid giving this ass-clown any money.

here's a crappy pic befitting the crappy subject matter:
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded