Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ken Onion line/ vendor complaints about reviews

You guys would like his kitchen knives a lot more if you had remembered to put your Ken Onion Meatfist™ on before using them...

Makes it mo' better.

Stefan, I know you have a thing for the Ken Onions, come one, how many do you have in your block?

I know you ain't talkin bout my accugrip control ball mutha£ %#& ?!
    Name:  Chef_Tony_Notaro.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  14.0 KB
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I know you ain't talkin bout my accugrip control ball mutha£ %#& ?!
    Name:  Chef_Tony_Notaro.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  14.0 KB
    I'm 99.9% certain that the only reason the accugrip thing was added was so he could brag about how many housewives have had his balls in their hands...

I came back to this thread, watched the campy video and surprisingly I now understand what I was thinking earlier, so I'll see if I can put it "on paper":

Ken Onion truly is a world-class designer. Take a look at his folders and you'll want one. They're badass!

With this new line, he's actually a lot closer than we think...sort of. He needs to lose the curvy edge profile and drop the tip quite significantly. However, if he does, then they'll look too much like every other knife, and the whole point of having an Onion designed knife is wasted.

Ken Onion is a talented dude...honestly.

Why don't people realize there's more to a chef/petty/parer/nakiri than making a one-handed mezzaluna?

Lamson is trying VERY VERY hard to get back into the high-end market. They're starting to understand what they need to do. These knives aren't exactly what is needed, but it shows that they give a crap.

I think that writing a knife off because it is Lamson made is pure crap. The guys over there are really trying to get why we like thin, over purely bulletproof. Honestly, those guys give a ****.

I'd love to design a knife for them, but I don't think, in any language, that my last name is a vegetable.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I came back to this thread, watched the campy video and surprisingly I now understand what I was thinking earlier, so I'll see if I can put it "on paper":

Ken Onion truly is a world-class designer. Take a look at his folders and you'll want one. They're badass!

With this new line, he's actually a lot closer than we think...sort of. He needs to lose the curvy edge profile and drop the tip quite significantly. However, if he does, then they'll look too much like every other knife, and the whole point of having an Onion designed knife is wasted.

Ken Onion is a talented dude...honestly.

Why don't people realize there's more to a chef/petty/parer/nakiri than making a one-handed mezzaluna?

Lamson is trying VERY VERY hard to get back into the high-end market. They're starting to understand what they need to do. These knives aren't exactly what is needed, but it shows that they give a crap.

I think that writing a knife off because it is Lamson made is pure crap. The guys over there are really trying to get why we like thin, over purely bulletproof. Honestly, those guys give a ****.

I'd love to design a knife for them, but I don't think, in any language, that my last name is a vegetable.
    In Australia your last name is a toothpaste
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I've finally found my calling....

Really? Wanna send me some? Haha
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Good post Lefty. If Ken simply designed a Japanese version of an ancient French knife, it would go no where. Most people still use the rocking cut these knives are obviously designed for. Unlike most custom knifemakers that simply make copies of what ever has been a good seller for someone else (look at all the Kramer copies) Ken is working at coming up with something new he has tried and feels is an improvement.

I always love to see things like this. The more attention paid to higher end kitchen cutlery the better for most all of us. These are the feeder programs for knife knuts. My guess the story for many on this board goes something like this: Someone splurges on a higher end knife, sees some improvement in cutting ability/ looks, gets interested and inquisitive and eventually ends up here, or at the online retailers or on a custom makers list. Or all three!

Ken Onion is clearly a very talented guy. No question. He also seems to have a very distinct design aesthetic when it comes to kitchen knives. Do I care for that aesthetic or will his knives be a good fit for me? No, but if he can replace some of the lousy knives out there with something which is better and that helps inspire people to cook good honest food instead of opening a box? Nothing wrong with that IMHO.