Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ken Onion line/ vendor complaints about reviews

I agree Son,my theory is that before when thin quality carbon was being forged in the US,knives were a part of everyday life & people for the most part took better care of them.I know my Gt. grandfather & Gf took care of their carbon boat building chisels.My father also built boats & was a pattern & model maker for NACA that later became NASA.I still have quite a few of those wood tools,most in excellent condition.

Around turn of century industrial revolution in full swing,peoples jobs became more specialized,instead of more generalist where you had to be good at many things.Stainless steel & later dishwashers,many more careless wt. knives,finally knife makers went for lowest common denom.Thick soft stainless knives,that dent instead of chip became the norm.

In Japan it was different after WW2 swordmaking was banned & some turned to making the best kitchen knives on the planet.Still do.With the exception of some very good custom forgers.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    The thing about Lamson is they forgot how good of a knife maker they were. For 100 + years they were one of the best in America. They made super paper thin, distal tapered carbon steel knives that could compete with any one in the world. The problem with most of these companies is as time went by the old knife makers who knew how to do it died or retired and it was too expensive to train a new guy what it took a lifetime to learn. They modernized there equipment, got rid of most of the skilled staff through time and attrition. Machines couldn't finesse it like a person could. Yes they kept a lot of the hand finishing but, with out that experience, there is now a huge learning curve. They are trying and they are getting better at it. You would be surprised at what they are willing to do to get this market. It just takes a little more time and they'll start to remember and prove how good they are. I wish them luck.

Remember a lot of the fit and finish issues and the over/ under grinds and poor heat treat are a direct result of the designer, commisionner not inspecting and holding the company accountable. If I design a product and you make it to my spec. it better be right or I will send it back every time until it is right. If I am willing to take it as is even if it doesn't meet my standard because, I want to get it to market bugs be damned then it's on me and I suck not the manufacturer. This is a business and all parties have a responsibility.
    Well said chef, hopefully the KKF knife will help them to be better makers! I think QC may be our teams strength.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I remember a friend of mine was given a shun ken onion, for graduation and both of us just sat there looking at the thing, like ***. I can't help but laugh and look in amazement.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I do like Ken Onion's design on other types of knives. I just can't seem to like the fact the only chef's he looked at didn't use the knife for a couple hours, but just doing the rock chop. I just hope he gets some better "chefs" for his next kitchen knife.
    Chewie's the man.

hey, at least he doesn't have that ridiculous curved bolster going down almost to the edge like on the Shuns.

I would use the pairing knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    I would use the pairing knife.
    Even with that handle?
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Wouldn't be my first choice but looks usable. I bet I could open the sh^! out of some boxes with that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Wouldn't be my first choice but looks usable. I bet I could open the sh^! out of some boxes with that thing.
    Well played sir, well played indeed!
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

im about to sharpen a friends ken onion chefs knife today or tomorrow. judging from the profile im sure its gonna be a PITA to get an even bevel from heel to tip. not looking forward to it all.