Quantcast
New Ken Onion line/ vendor complaints about reviews - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ken Onion line/ vendor complaints about reviews

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    in my limited experience a good number of chefs don't have good knives. and a good deal of those people who have "good knives" are carrying around wusthofs or henckels. and we all know how those perform. and those that do have japanese knives either have globals or shuns. and we know how those perform as well.

agreed.

which is where his knives tend to sell. he's captured a market that needed filling. from a business standpoint, he does very well.

i really would love to hear ken out on his designs. maybe we can, uhm bend the rules this one time just so we can actually pick his brain without doing it a roundabout way?
    Yeah you are spot on with the brands of the majority of chefs use, I'd also add vitorinox, they seem to be the most popular here.

Also I'm not really a fan but if he'd designed a knife that looked like a variety of j knives he'd be knocked for that too.
    The wealthy home cook who wants a step up from shun will love his knives, one of my chefs is slowly collecting the shun collection, they have done Very well in the marketing department.

Maybe start a ken onion q&a thread? that's locked to all replies except ken onion?
    Or collect a number of questions and email them to him?
    Otherwise I can see a shitstorm of arguing happening.

The Onion lines remind me of the Kramers. With Shun, it was aesthetic. With Kramer and Zwilling things like good heat treat, good taper came into play. These new Onions appear heeps better than the Shuns. I think what's missing is some Ken Onion customs. Well?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Ok I'm thinking of starting a pass a round with one. That way some of us can put our words where our mouth is.

That way if Ken does decide to come back then we might have some incite he could glean off of.

When I get the knife I will start a separate thread.
    Chewie's the man.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    All the years I've been on knife forums, I've only done one pass a round and it seemed a bit of a hassle, as I don't drive and it's a chore to get to the post office. But this one is a pass a round in which I'd like to take part

It is one thing if you just want to try the knife out for yourself but if you think you can make a list of flaws that need to be corrected for the maker, I don't see the point of a pass around. Once they have tooled up and put something into production no manufacturer is going be willing to make changes without an extremely good reason. Their money is on the table now and they need to wait for the roulette wheel to quit spinning to see if they won or lost.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I know he wont change anything. Well not on this knife, but in the future on others he may incorporate some in. Any way if you don't want to be in don't be. me myself I wanted to try one of his out.
    Chewie's the man.

The steel seems pretty cool bdz1 never used or heard of it before but after reading supposedly made for low 60's hrc and edge retention. I don't rock so the profile would be awkward for me to use.

Yeah, I'm really wanting to try one out, as well.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I'd be down to try it our too. I've always been pretty vocal about how ugly(IMHO) the design is.
    Who knows though, I could love the way it performs. I'll rock an ugly knife as long as it cuts like a champ!
    The abilities always outweigh the aesthetics.
    No matter how high the throne,
    there sits but an ass.

Throw me in the loop as well if you got the room. I've used the shun version a friend of mind had. Not impressed but this one does look to be a lot better!

+ Reply to Thread