Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ken Onion line/ vendor complaints about reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post

I think I am just going to drink more alcohol.
    How about a PBR?

I wish I had one.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

My two cents.

When a thread is started, by a forum member, that is critical of a vendor, or it becomes negative. It seems fair that the vendor be given an opportunity to respond, but only in that thread.

Jay
    I'm a over-sized, under-educated, two onions a month, cutting fool.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    meh
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Dude, in 9(so far) posts you managed to attack and insult about half a dozen forum members.
    Have I? By highlighting someone's degradation of a certain brand because of their "heat treat" but then finding out that they have zero actual knowledge of said "heat treat?" The only real time I've "insulted" someone was after Edipis went after me in another thread. I'm agnostic, so I'm not into the whole "turn the other cheek" stuff.

Well, judging by posts you do type faster than he does... Certainly you have no probs dishing it out en masse either, to forumites and to Japanese makers alike.
    See above. And I have plenty of Japanese knives.

Not so sure about your reasons for checking back, considering that you did produce a lot of inflammatory material in record short time.
    Of course you are sure of my reasons for checking back. I wanted to see Edipis explain to Knife Makers Hall of Fame member Ken Onion how to design, build, market, distribute and sell a decent knife. I was expecting one of two things: 1. An epiphany level moment where we were all going to be enlightened in the entire encompassing, systematic procedure for front to back production/commerce of knife capitalism; or 2. Slapstick comedy gold.

Either way, it was going to be a win.

What is no no-nonsense handle material BTW?
    Material that I don't have to worry about in terms of maintenance in a professional kitchen. When I'm cutting mats for three or four hours straight with no breaks, I don't want to worry about the effects that foodstuff residue is going to have on my blade or handle. It's nice to have a pretty piece of art in the bag for those specific occasions, but when I'm working, I want a knife that works. Functionally hard, corrosion resistant steel that will hold an edge over the course of a big job and a handle that will do the same while providing high level ergonomics. That's my holy grail, if you will. And, in reality, I really only need one knife to fill these requirements - a longer chefs. I've got the boning, deba, yanagiba, suji/slicer, bread, paring, veg cleaver, nakiri, et al. for other specific functions. I'd just like that one "perfect" workhorse main knife that fits the above requirements. I've yet to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    But there is that one hand (4th hand), where saccogoo chimes in and he only has posted in response to Shun and Onion knives only. Seems suspicious and makes me think the policy of the forum makes sense.
    No reason to be suspicious. I don't have any ties to Shun/Kai other than owning a couple of their knives. I'd just like to see some application of the purported objectivity that this board is supposedly based on, but seems to lack regarding certain knife manufacturers because of one thing or another (mainly general popularity/availability - which, in itself, led to my "knife hipster" comment/observation). I see guys talking out there ass about one thing or another about certain brands and forgive me if I call them on it. I'm really just trying to be objectively altruistic in terms of the purity of the knife and it's function. Well, and that and I tend to humor myself with a bit of hyperbole from time to time.

Ya, you like to humor yourself, alright.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Everyone: please keep it civil.

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    Everyone: please keep it civil.

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Time for some popcorn

Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

I like popcorn, especially when Lars, The Swedish chef makes it