Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: New Ken Onion line/ vendor complaints about reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    I was at large local independant kitchen store (kitchen window in MSP) and was surprised to see that they had a pretty large selection of the new Onion Rain knives.
    It was near the end of the day and I didn't want to waste too much of the staff's time, so I didn't take many pics, I did give them a pretty thorough once over.

Sometimes I really hate being right, but pretty much everything that I feared these knives to be was confirmed: horrible profiles (with the exception of the regular paring; they didnt have the reverse model): ridiculous handles, and almost meat-cleaver thick behind the edge.

To Lamson's credit; it looks like they did a good job executing a terrible design. Every contour of the turd handles where smooth, symmetrical, well finished and well attached to the blades. Neither the spines or choils were eased, but the weird "rain" finish was executed cleanly, and the blades all appeared true and the distal tapers where even. As I said, the grinds where thick and ugly, but I have no idea if that was to Ken's spec or not, but if he got so many (much simpler) parts of the design so wrong, I'm willing to assume that he didn't know what the grind and thickness behind the edge should look like either.

These knives are worse than the Shuns.

Seeing these knives actually made me both sad and pissed off. All of the elements are there to make a game-changing line of American knives: Great materials, skilled manufacturing, a famous name, great distribution / sales network, and it was all ruined by stupid, ignorant, arrogant, wrong-headedness. What a ******* joke and what an inexcusable waste of an opportunity that much more deserving designers would have killed for.
    Please avoid giving this ass-clown any money.

here's a crappy pic befitting the crappy subject matter:
    But...but, they look cool!

He'll sell billions for that reason alone.../sigh!

one thing that drives me crazy about the handle design is that its almost impossible to thin the blade behind the edge near the heel.

A girl I've been seeing recently has a couple of the Ken Onion Shun's. I brought over Son's Forgecraft Wednesday night to cook her dinner after work. When she saw me cutting red skin potatoes with my knife...she said 'Wow, that looks like it cuts easy!! Can I try?'. I told her sure, and handed her the knife. The FIRST thing she did was cup her hand around it in a C shape (index and ring fingers around the north end, thumb around the south), and lined the knife up directly across the centerline (like the ₵ symbol). Luckily I was watching and literally yelled at her to stop lol. When I asked her what the hell she was doing, she replied 'What?! I have to get the knife started!!'. NO JOKE. So I took her hands and showed her how to cup the potato over the top of the spine. She cut it...and her eyes literally lit up. Then when I told her 'Now imagine if you'd left your fingers under there to 'start' the cut...'...her expression was priceless. She had literally never had experience with anything even close to resembling a real kitchen knife...and even with out of the box Shun's...had never cut herself doing things in such an incredibly irresponsible manner.

If these are worse, it kind of makes me want to cry a little.

Quote Originally Posted by CrisAnderson27 View Post
    But...but, they look cool!

He'll sell billions for that reason alone.../sigh!
    These look like props in a uber goth, z grade vamp flick.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I think they're hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    one thing that drives me crazy about the handle design is that its almost impossible to thin the blade behind the edge near the heel.
    Jon , I don't think any potential buyers will know what sharpening or thinning means

Winner of Blade Magazine’s Kitchen Knife of the Year Award 2013. Must be good. The cynic in me says they just look like a rehash of the Shun Onions, made by an inferior manufacturer though.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    lol forget about thinning, you couldn't even sharpen most of those at the proper angle.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by CrisAnderson27 View Post
    So I took her hands and showed her how to cup the potato over the top of the spine. She cut it...and her eyes literally lit up.
    As I read this, I instantly got flashbacks of the movie Ghost and the pottery wheel scene. I hope it worked out for you the same way, lol.