Quantcast
Is it possible to thin your knife with messing up the finish?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to thin your knife with messing up the finish?

Is it possible to thin your knife with messing up the finish?

Is it possible to thin a knife without messing up the factory finish? And if not how can you restore that finish?

no... thinning will cause scratches... however, you can make things look nice again in a variety of ways (stones, finger stones, powders, belts, etc.)

I've never heard of finger stones or powders. How would I make it look nice with just using a stone?

If you're careful and don't thin too much it can looks pretty good, give you a nice big shiny bevel

Quote Originally Posted by drake View Post
    I've never heard of finger stones or powders. How would I make it look nice with just using a stone?

Progressively increase the grit until you like the finish. However you will never be able to get it back to the factory look. That's why I've just ended up polishing the entire blade face to blend it in to my own desired finish.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

If the "factory" finish runs orthogonal to the length of the blade, it can be restored with a fine or very fine Scotchbrite belt on a grinder. I've done this with many knives, including Konosuke, Devin Thomas, Kato, Carbonext, etc.

If the finish runs parallel, it can often be matched with wet/dry sandpaper. I've had good success restoring Shigefusa finishes with worn 220 or new 320 grit paper.

When removing scratches you better stay away from the edge.

Apart from JNS, where does one get finger stones?

Just thinned a new-to-me Hiromoto tonight and the soft cladding looked pretty bad initially. Just work up a little mud w/ each stone and polishing a little before moving to the next stone helps. By the soft cladding really came back quickly with some 600 wet/dry sandpaper. No mirror shiny obviously, but scratches polish out in literally one minute. Monosteel blade requires more work, so I tend to just polish on the stone and leave the remaining scratches.