Quantcast
Is it possible to thin your knife with messing up the finish? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible to thin your knife with messing up the finish?

If thinning a Kurouchi finished knife, will you do any harm exposing metal that lies beneath in terms of adding reactivity to proteins? Thinking kurouchi finished AS Blue steel.

What kind of sandpaper?

Quote Originally Posted by skiajl6297 View Post
    If thinning a Kurouchi finished knife, will you do any harm exposing metal that lies beneath in terms of adding reactivity to proteins? Thinking kurouchi finished AS Blue steel.
    Well yeah it'll make the steel under the KU more reactive. I also remember Dave saying that on some knives this area is iron not steel so will not form a patina. Maybe something to consider. Kurouchi is a big advantage to carbon knives and when you take it off you still have a lot of rough marks and dings that were covered up

Quote Originally Posted by drake View Post
    What kind of sandpaper?
    Standard wet/dry will do. Where you start depends on what grit stone you started thinning with. 400 is a pretty good place to start I'd say

When you say standard wet/dry is that just normal old sandpaper I can get a Home Depot?

When you say standard wet/dry is that just normal old sandpaper I can get a Home Depot?
    Wet/Dry is typically used for automotive paint work, auto store will have some.

Wet/Dry is silicon carbide and is dark gray or black depending on the manufacturer.

Yes, Home Depot and Lowe's carry wet/dry sandpaper. They do have a limited variety though. As GlassEye mentioned, auto parts supply shops and auto paint supply shops especially will have a wider range of wet/dry sandpaper. There are heaps of it available on-line. Amazon for one has a good selection.

I do agree with most previous posters. To give an idea about thinning try to establish a relief bevel at a much more acute angle than you would normally do.

I haven't had a problem with iron forming a patina on a knife that I removed the KU from. It could be mild steel though... Is there any way for me to tell?