Shipping knives to Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

la2tokyo

Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm going back to Japan to work and I have had a horrible time finding a way to ship my knives there. I know I can pack them in my luggage but I'm always worried that they're going to be stolen. I tried to ship them via Yamato and FedEx - both refused to ship knives. Any ideas?

I packed them in my luggage when I went to and from Japan in December. No problems whatsoever.

I'm going back to Japan to work and I have had a horrible time finding a way to ship my knives there. I know I can pack them in my luggage but I'm always worried that they're going to be stolen. I tried to ship them via Yamato and FedEx - both refused to ship knives. Any ideas?

Where will you be living and working? I live in Nezu off the Chiyoda Line. How soon are you moving?

If you have someone to receive them USPS EMS is probably your best bet.

I don't think no one would steal your knives on the Japan end. Where will you travel from?

The easy answer is to sell them all here then get new ones in Japan... Whatchagot?:hungry::hungry::hungry:

Seriously, DHL does very well for Maxim from Europe, EMS does well from Japan, should do well going there.

I would pack them good and list as kitchen utensils--less scary sounding to some than knives. :)

I also think Dave's answer may be the best...b/s/t?

Travelling from Los Angeles, probably in May. I just found out that I can valuate my luggage up to $5K with the airline so I may look into that if DHL won't take them. I'll probably pack in a big box and wrap it up with twenty layers of packing tape. I could buy new ones when I get there, but just did that last year and it's a pain in the ass buying a bunch of knives and sharpening everything as soon as I get there. Plus I can't afford to buy better ones than I already have. I will be working in Central Tokyo somewhere, not 100% sure yet and I don't want to jinx it.

Latest posts

Back