Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood For Stock Handles - Need Input

Well, I was only considering dying tiger maple brown, no other colors. Certainly not red, green or blue. I don't use color spacers or liners because I don't like colors.

Some of the maple I have has as tight grain as koa, so I thought that dyed maple could pass for a poor man koa.

Will have to stabilize the fist batch just in natural colors and take from there.

Thanks everybody for input. It is really helpful.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Some of the maple I have has as tight grain as koa, so I thought that dyed maple could pass for a poor man koa.
    I'm sure you're right. A dyed brown maple could be a poor man's kao. However, would you want a poor man's anything on your knives? You work pretty damn hard on these knives, and you're getting a lot of positive response as the result. Using a dyed product doesn't seem to match your aesthetics and what your knife is promising. I'm not opposed to dyed handles, as I just bought one, but it just doesn't seem right for you.

Good point. Will keep it natural then.

In the past I was able to find some pretty darn good pieces even among domestic species of maple and walnut. Will pay the lumberyard a visit and see what I come up with.

Thanks everybody again.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

FWIW, I also agree with Don and Rick. While brown dyed tiger maple would still work, I do like the simple understated elegance and natural look of your handles, so I would not use much dyed anything in your position either. And I also agree that redwood is a good option, be it burl or heart wood.

Stefan

You collectively convinced me. Thanks again and again for a sound advice. I might have to look for some redwood now. Would like to use domestic woods primarily. Walnut, varieties of maple, redwood.

mesquite burl, madrone burl and Mrytlewood burl, olive wood
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    mesquite burl, madrone burl and Mrytlewood burl, olive wood
    I don't know if I can get them locally.

marko, what i like especially about your knives is the aesthetic factor. your knives are sublime, they are so beautiful, classy, natural beauties. i have nothing against dyed wood (even though i cannot imagine getting a handle made of dyed wood for myself), but i would offer that as a custom option, not for stock knives. i believe part of your reputation is for the aesthetics of your knives, i wouldn't change much about it.

how about a limited choice of buckeye? i have a piece of stabilized buckeye which features kind of a natural ferrule. i mean, it's rather light wood with only a bit of black/grey on one side. it definitely would look similar to a classic ho-wood handle with a black horn ferrule, but made of a single piece of wood.

I will look into different options, but ideally would be for me to pick up wood locally, so I can inspect it in person. I also like to buy a larger quantity, as there are several grades in one board. I will see how it goes.