Quantcast
Wood For Stock Handles - Need Input
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood For Stock Handles - Need Input

Wood For Stock Handles - Need Input

I am greatly enjoying the input you guys give me, and I shamelessly asking for more.

I have a good amount of cocobolo and it has been my choice for stock knives handles so far. I also have a good amount of tiger maple, blond and reddish. Some of the sections are as dense as some of the curly koa. I am thinking to send some for stabilizing and using it for handle material. I also have birdseye maple, quilted maple, and blistered maple.
    I can get some good lacewood and leopard wood. In fact, I can get a lot of wood from my local lumber yard. They have like 80 species on hand.

Now should I dye maple and other woods or should I leave it natural?

Also, if you can think of wood that is readily available (preferred domestic hardwood), that is moderately priced, I would definitely consider it. Ironwood, Koa and other types,that often have to be purchased by block might not fit this category well.

I have a field in Stock Knives Survey for wood choice for handles (Others), but this is thread is to give me some new ideas.

Thank you.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

I'm a big fan of the cocobolo. I also like maple burl.

I like the current 'look' of your handles. As to dyed wood, it might be good if requested, but your usual dark American (central American I guess for cocobolo) hardwoods seem to do the trick.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Leaving the wood natural seems more inline with your "brand", but maybe that's just me. In general, I prefer natural undyed wood.

I like natural wood color , no dyed wood for me!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I have seen some gorgeous pieces of stabilized redwood and maple, and really like central american red logwood.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

I like walnut and I see you have made some knives with it

Natural, no dyed, goes well with your aesthetics. I really like the dark hard wood handles. However, having options for different woods for personalization or special run could prove interesting. America is about customizations...

I like highly figured redwood. They get those eyes that just look like floating ghosts to me. So cool. I do not mind dyed woods, but in your case I would stick to natural toned dyes. Dark browns, black, maybe even a dark burgundy. Certainly no bright greens, reds or blues.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

When I think Marko, dyed woods definitely don't come to mind. I like the classics, cocobolo and ironwood.

+ Reply to Thread