how to touch up knife handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question for you - knife handle makers or experts;
All my knives have natural wood (not stabilized) handles and I have maintained them with either Camelia oil or boiled linseed oil, which worked out quite okay for me so far.
A couple of my recent purchase have minor crack lines and some pores as well on (wa) handles .
I am not sure if rubbing it with the two oil mentioned above would give enough protection.
How would you take care of the handles in this situation?
Is there any substance that I can use to fill in the cracks and pores first before I sand the surface to smooth it out and apply the oil on it?

Thanks.

I use board butter(bees wax and mineral oil) on all of my handles, stabilized and non stablilized. It fills in the cracks fine.

You could use CA glue (superglue) for a more permanent solution if the cracks are large enough; followed by sanding and your regular treatment.

I use board butter(bees wax and mineral oil) on all of my handles, stabilized and non stablilized. It fills in the cracks fine.

I just got a few blocks of beeswax to use in conjunction with mineral oil for handles and cutting board. Can you tell me what ratio to use when mixing them?
Thanks.

Back