Quantcast
Konosuke suji ura?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Konosuke suji ura?

Konosuke suji ura?

As you can see from the pics my 300mm white #2 suji has an unevenly ground ura-like hollow that runs along most of the left side of the blade. The section near the handle where the hollow tapers away is a shallow convex like you would expect. When I found the hollow it gave my quite a surprise, as I was expecting something like a 70/30 right hand bias convex grind. It clearly isn't made for sharpening, so food separation would be my only guess for its existence. I have a ~4 degree edge on the back, so the hollow doesn't extent to a traditional 0 degree bevel as it may appear.

I haven't seen any other discussion on this, so is mine unique? Are they normally ground more evenly or not at all?

Click the pics twice to make them big.

I have seen other knives that have slight concave in the midsection, not sure if on purpose or if that is the way they are come out after they were ground on the wheels.
    I do not think the grinds are ground with any bias except for a few knives that are more convex on the front and almost flat on the back side.
    I am curious what more experienced people have to say on that subject.

How is it for stiction?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    How is it for stiction?
    it's about the left face.

The left face stiction is higher than the right face stiction. It is lower than if it was a flat face though.

Quote Originally Posted by Squilliam View Post
    The left face stiction is higher than the right face stiction. It is lower than if it was a flat face though.
    I must humbly admit I've never, being right handed, experienced any left face sticking.

I am right handed but i cut slices from the left side of the food to test the sticton. It wouldn't normally be an issue, but on a suji there can be quite a lot of friction when cutting large pieces of meat, so if the hollow decreased surface contact friction would decrease, making it easier to slice.

Why would you care whether it would stick on the left side, as you're right handed??

+1. Sticktion to the left, if only for testing, isn't a problem, then why bother? If you can get it sharp, and are happy with the performance, maybe you are thinking to hard...
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

+ Reply to Thread