• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - Inexpensive Vintage Carbon Workhorse

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiajl6297

Reaction score
Looking to spend < $100 for a vintage carbon blade. I'm looking for an inexpensive large chefs knife that I can really go to town sharpening and practicing on. Bevel setting, microbevels, thinning, polishing, etc. Not opposed to gnarly condition requiring work - but it needs to be fixable on stones alone. A story behind it makes it even cooler - it will be loved and well used and maybe rehandled down the road. Thanks all!

Did you check out Son's (sachem allison) knives in this thread? He was getting rid of some big old carbon beauties. Titled "Some old favorites."

If you are looking for 10in ones Then that link is a good one. The 10in are much more common and can be had at a very good price. The 12 in and 14 in ones are much more difficult to find thus much more expensive. One of the 12" ones listed on the link, is incredibly pitted and may not be worth the inexpensive price tag in the long run. look at the pics carefully. The 10 in ones are definitely worth looking at.

Thanks all (esp Lucretia and Son) - just pulled the trigger on Son's Dexter 12" Chef! Appreciate the feedback and excited to get my hands on some vintage knife goodness.

Is that the Dexter 45A12H? If so it's a great knife I have one I converted.

Cool & congrats next you'll be checking out Mark's burl site - :lol2:

Congrats. Just a word of warning, old dirty carbon can become quite an addiction, lol Before you know it, you'll spend your days off browsing antique store after antique store like I do :)

Also, that's a great steel to practice sharpening on. It takes a great edge, and is pretty easy to move. IMO it would be a shame to mess to much with it, it is a beatiful knife as is. I almost pulled the trigger myself, just spent to much this month already

Primary goal is to have fun with a knife that I can really go to work on. I am really in need of fine tuning to get a screaming edge. This blade will get a lot of love from me. And who knows, maybe an older knife will intimidate my wife less and then I can get her used to using sharp, large knives! She still reaches for a short shun santoku since my knives scare her!

Got the knife today - thanks Son! Looking forward to some sharpening fun this weekend.

Latest posts

Back