Warther chef knifes, worth getting to reprofle?? Also their paring knife handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The steel (Crucible CPM S35VN) they use really interests me, the OOB Warther grind not so much. I wrote them and they said they sharpen them OOB to 22.5 symmetrically i.e. a ridiculous 45 degree bevel. Based on what I read this steel should easily take something like a 10 back/15 microbevel -assuming they treat the steel even half way decently...

Has anyone bought one and reprofiled it? If so do you like how the knife works after you did that??

Also has anyone used their funky paring knife with the strangely interestingly shaped handle?

TIA

if warther is willing to do a custom order for maybe a hundred of these they'd be snapped up by us KKF folks easily.

i'm gonna get warthers eventually. someone should talk to them and get them to do the stuff we'd buy. =D

I like the profile on those, and have used one and liked it, but the pattern they put on the blades hurts my soul.

They have great F&F LOL :D

1.jpg

Wow! The one I usd wasn't that bad. But this was a few years ago

There are no doubts about there being some fit and finish issues, specifically at the point of the pic above, although none of mine are that bad. They start the distal taper too soon so the front of the scales is often not a tight fit. Also, on almost every one I have purchased there is a grind issue in the heel that extends about 2mm.

I will also say I have seen the same to much worse fit and finish from Japanese knives in this price range, Fujiwara, Tojiro, even some in the 200.00 range.....

But....I still love this knife. I have been using mine for almost a year, I purchased them for all my guys and they get used and abused daily.

The profile is not something most here would be used to, ie it does not look like a Masamoto, but I don't mind it. Its reasonably flat in the back 1/3 of the knife, or at lease it has less curve than the front 2/3 and it has a more pronounced curve to a taller tip. If you like the Masamoto this knife is not for you.

The knife is thin and light, mine is less than 2mm at the spine above the heel,total weight on my 9" chefs is 215 grams. It is has a v grind with factory bevels in the 20 range. I have since taken mine down to 12 ish and for me is perfect.

At the end of the day I have no problem recommending the knife as someone looking for a stainless sub 100 knife. Are there better knives out there?....you bet, is this still a good buy, IMO, yes.

Worth getting to reprofile? Eh, its up to you, for me, probably not.

Doesn't the swirle pattern drive you nuts? It's the one thing I can't stand about these

I got one that I gave to a relative,the handle was tight & looked good,edge was easy to refine.The S35VN steel was quality stainless,I did not care for the excess rocker.That handle looks terrible don't see how it could be sent out that way.

They have great F&F LOL :D

I made a Warther recommendation on another forum and the member also expressed dissatisfaction with the tang gap. I was so irritated a product that I like and sometime recommend was having such issues. Here is the great thing about it. I really think they care, we are not dealing with Moritaka here, they recognized the problem and want to get it right.

Warther has a great long standing tradition of operation here in the US and I would hate to see another US knife company/manufacturing loose business because of it.

My email to Warther was in direct reference to the tang gap at the front of their handle and here is their direct reply:

"Matt,
Thanks for contacting us, as well as your support. In regards to the taper and handle issue, we have been working on resolving that error in our manufacturing with our new grinding machine, as well as the handles. If yourself or someone you know has a knife with a gap in the handle, you can return the knife for an exchange for a knife with no gap. Thanks

Warther Cutlery"

I am still confident in saying this is one of the better sub 100 stainless knives out there, but their willingness to make it right really helps my piece of mind.

That's great to hear that they're willing to address a problem and hopefully fix it. Good on you for bringing it to their attention Matt. :thumbsup:

No F & F issues on mine :D But I have to agree - while I prefer my profiles a little rounder than most here, this one could be a bit flatter.

Stefan

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back