Quantcast
Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives - Page 10
Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

Sounds like 240 to 270 , flat ground off the edge with convex away for good food release and a Sab like profile in powdered stainless so far. I'm ok with a number of different steels. How bout the heat treatment? I'm seeing some great ideas here.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Search my latest posts and you will see I clearly made a post.

Anyway from what I can salvage/remember...

A good compromising length is 255mm, it's smack in the middle of 240-270 and I'd be willing to settle on that. O1 or 52100 hardened to 62-63, modified Sab profile, 2.5-3mm at the spine, "s" shaped grind, real thin behind the edge, 52mm height, distal taper, tapered tang, integral bolster, no fingerguard/full bolster, fully rounded spine and choil, stabilized burl handle, 1 mosaic pin.
    This.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Theory and I must be the same person. This is exactly what I had in mind (except 250 and O1). Regardless, it's good to see we're on the same page. If an S grind isn't doable, since not everyone is Bob Kramer, we'll still come up with a great alternative.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I love 270s but if its a bit shorter I'm in. I also live the Sab profile all I do all day is search the web for vintage sabs. I also love carbon but would probably choose the steel based on what they do best. I'm cool with 50/50 too. I think it's a great idea and would be great for the forum. I like forgecraft but my favorite profiles are Sab and ks.

It's a little ironic I think, that Pierre has basically already done this. How do we put Pierre in charge of Lamson?
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

250-265 is fine for me. I'm easy.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

A good compromising length is 255mm, it's smack in the middle of 240-270 and I'd be willing to settle on that. O1 or 52100 hardened to 62-63, modified Sab profile, 2.5-3mm at the spine, "s" shaped grind, real thin behind the edge, 52mm height, distal taper, tapered tang, integral bolster, no fingerguard/full bolster, fully rounded spine and choil, stabilized burl handle, 1 mosaic pin.
    THIS.
    My vote is this. I want one. Bad.
    Question...is this gonna be a value-ish buy (note the ish.

I know nothing compared to anyone else here but this does sound very nice. I would be in for one of these!!

i like the idea of san mai to make it more usable for everyone but i'm good straight mono steel carbon. maybe a stainless version one day? =D

this sounds good but it's kinda hard to design the s shaped grind. it'll go through several prototypes that's for sure to get that right.

255mm would be awesome. right in the middle. 52100 / o1 would be awesome. i'd still wanna find out what swedish carbon steel misono uses on their gyutos, that would be awesome too.

I agree that this is about perfect...since this is a good old North American knife, why not call it 10" in O1.

My exception is that I would vote for 3 pins with the middle being 1/4" (small dice) and the 2 outside as 1/8" (brunoise).

Other than that, I agree with everything Theory said, especially real thin behind the edge, which may be the hardest part based on some of their recent knives.
    one man gathers what another man spills...