Quantcast
Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives - Page 13
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

if someone helps me out so i can personally supervise the whole thing i'd be more than willing to help! lol.

There are a lot of great ideas here, but as this is going to be a production knife, I would try to concentrate on things achievable in a production knife at a decent price point. It might not end up the exact knife with all the bells and whistles you wanted, but hey, that is what customs are for. We have plenty of craftsman here for that as well. Think of it as maximizing your value. Sure, you can spring for integral bolsters, but that might increase the price by 50% or end up compromising the finish or material quality. Combination or concave grinds are labor intensive in both the grinding and finishing processes. Coke bottle westerns are great, I love them, but they don't really lend themselves to mass production. Both require a skilled craftsman's work, ie, no robots. Even wood: stabilizing adds cost and there some great oily natural woods out there. Cocobolo, wenge, rosewood, etc. The supplier can also buy them in large blocks/boards, as opposed to many small pre stabilized pieces.

If you are going with a Sab/Forgecraft inspired profile, then I would use that as a basis for your theme: An updated Sab/Forge with improved steel, readily available, with no restoration needed. Any of the steels mentioned in this thread qualify. Carbon obviously fits the theme a little better than stainless. Plus it sounds like Lefty really likes O1. 10"/255mm edge. Forgecraft style handle with a natural wood, which makes for simple wa conversions. Finish would most likely be simple machine finish, not much in the way of options there. You maniacs can attack them with whatever mesh or stones or paper you have laying around. Where you put your money is the grind and distal taper. Unlike some of the examples in the first paragraph, I think a strong distal taper is something that can be achievable with this project, but it will add cost. When grinding thin, it is cheaper to start with thin stock, that simple. Thin stock does not lead to dramatic distal tapers. Starting with thick stock and distal taper kinda sorta dictates your grind, which would lend itself well to a slight convex on the upper half of the face, with most of the stock removal and convexing on the lower half of the blade face, to get thin behind the edge like everyone likes. Should be a sturdy cutter, suitable for any linecook or homecook. I think you will end up with an affordable performer that leaves the door open for plenty of tweaking and customization, but still had a fairly unique identity.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

This thread is very deja vu-ish.

I agree with this with the exception of the handle. Yes, I believe the handle should stay simple for easy conversions, but not plain (please forgive) like the forgecraft. I'm sure there will be many who simply just want to keep the knife the way it is, or who can't/won't be able to customize the handle. The materials you mentioned all sound fantastic, I just think you will want to put some curve or personality in the shaping of the handle as well.

Other than that, I really like the idea of keeping this knife somewhat "standardized", thus allowing all of us who wish to customize to do so. I can already see a thread started solely for the purpose of us showing off our upgrades and different twists, which I think will be great!

I'm in as a buyer in this project Awesome sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I am still a bit surprised and find it a bit awkward, though, that this seems to fixate on the company that also produces knives for 'others' that get rather mixed reviews, although I understand the American-made approach.
    I'd add more than a +1 to that if I had more than one vote. I'd much rather see this project go to one of the knife makers who support this site than building yet another knife with a company that's had very similar, and not overly successful projects in the past. Turn this into a Pierre "group buy" or semi-custom and I'd be all over it like a Duck on a June bug.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Scott is right, and it's surprising how much the design concept of an ideal forum knife has changed. As to Lamson and Goodnow, I have a 52100 ks that I'm more than happy with. The only way to make this knife affordable to many of us is to use a factory to make them, one that utilizes robots, and I'd much rather see folks in Massachusetts making it than folks in China. JohnnyChance pretty much nailed anything else I have to say.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

if getting this done into a semi custom / custom knife, then that would pretty much skyrocket the price on this, so i'm all for keeping it cheap and maybe eventually do something a higher end model in the future?

+1 to johnnychance alright. =D

id be interested dependant on the final price

Johnny and Tom are hitting the nail on the head. We can make a fantastic knife that is designed (or consulted) by us. Pierre and I have taken this and are running with it..neither he nor I would attach of names to something we didn't believe in. It will be heavily tested and thoroughly inspected, I promise. Also, by many well-respected members here.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

+ Reply to Thread