Quantcast
Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives - Page 15
Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

More than likely though if it was one of those awesome stainlesses then you couldn't afford this one either

i think you missed my point entirely

I thought you meant you'd like to try a super stainless at a cheaper price. All I was saying was there's a reason why the higher end steel knives generally cost more. Harder to heat treat, grind, and finish. Plus the material itself is more expensive. If I'm wrong what was the point of your post? And I was trying to be cheeky

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i dont think the knife has to be carbon. infact, theres alot of cool stainless steel american makers work with that i simply cant afford. i was hoping to get a chance to try one of the higher end stainless steels with this gyuto.
    +1
    I get it entirely, Stainless seems to be pushing the carbon envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by vicv View Post
    I thought you meant you'd like to try a super stainless at a cheaper price. All I was saying was there's a reason why the higher end steel knives generally cost more. Harder to heat treat, grind, and finish. Plus the material itself is more expensive. If I'm wrong what was the point of your post? And I was trying to be cheeky
    no offense taken. i was willing to spend $200-300. when i think custom gyuto i think the market starts around $600.

was thinking the same on the handle, a distal taper on the handle to help with the balance

=D

I'm totally on board with Lefty's vision of this knife especially as expressed by Justin. To go back a few pages, I don't think that an integral bolster is important - the UX10 has one of the nicer production handles out there in my opinion, and the bolster is conspicuously not-integral there.

I'm not sure how much this would add to the cost, but I've always loved the look of the Western Shig handles with the large cutout before the heel, about where your ring finger would end up in a hammer grip. A feature like that can add a lot of unique character to a knife without having to spend money on exotic materials - I don't know how much it wold cost in labor to shape scales like that though...

I think carbon steel is also important. O1 sounds just fine to me.

Ah gotcha. I wouldn't buy from him but there the ultimatum I believe in m390 for your price range. That's about as super stainless as it exists in a ks profile. I think I understand where Tom is going with this. A vintageesh style with more a Japanese style heat treat

I think the main point here(that some seem to be missing), is designing a mass produced knife. One that will stand out from the rest because it has proper geometry, heat treat, steel, f/f, and a price that both pros and home cooks can appreciate. Upping the bar that some other big names have brought low due to lack of care/quality.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I think the main point here(that some seem to be missing), is designing a mass produced knife. One that will stand out from the rest because it has proper geometry, heat treat, steel, f/f, and a price that both pros and home cooks can appreciate. Upping the bar that some other big names have brought low due to lack of care/quality.
    This