Quantcast
Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives - Page 16
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

Quote Originally Posted by vicv View Post
    Ah gotcha. I wouldn't buy from him but there the ultimatum I believe in m390 for your price range. That's about as super stainless as it exists in a ks profile. I think I understand where Tom is going with this. A vintageesh style with more a Japanese style heat treat
    are you talking to me? lol! i would never buy an ultamatum. there are excellent factory priduction aeb-l knives that can be had for 200-300. even pierre has a killer mid tech coming out soon in stainless for $325. my only point was a great stainless with nice heat treat can be had for $200-300. "custom heat treat " or not. BTW even if we decide on carbon im still in, i just wanted to keep the stainless option open.

Guys, it's looking like we're going to do O1, but if possible, maybe we can do stainless down the road, or as a small batch. It really depends on how Lamson can swing it. I hope this becomes a huge success and we can all come up with a great suji, petty, parer, etc. But, one thing I've learned is focusing on one thing at a time always yields the best results.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

yeah one thing at a time would be best. research, study, practical use, experimentation, QC is most important! =D

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    are you talking to me? lol! i would never buy an ultamatum. there are excellent factory priduction aeb-l knives that can be had for 200-300. even pierre has a killer mid tech coming out soon in stainless for $325. my only point was a great stainless with nice heat treat can be had for $200-300. "custom heat treat " or not. BTW even if we decide on carbon im still in, i just wanted to keep the stainless option open.
    Of course I'd never say that about you! My only point was that such knives in that price range do exist. It would be cool to have these with multiple flavors of steel but me personally would prefer at least the first run made in a good carbon. But these will probably be behind my current price range so my opinion shouldd be taken with a grain of salt. Still an awesome idea Tom!

I think a matched pair would be the shiznit. Two identical knives made to the design goal. One in 01 and one in AEB-L, or S35VN, or CPM154 or ... any of the "killer" stainless that is now available. I bet they could pull that off with ease.

Lot of good judgement and common sense coming from these posts. The element of practicality , using an old , perhaps historic company like Lamson, and collaborating with a group of people willing to put their egos aside for the greater good makes for a rare experience. I will help any way I can.

I must have missed something, but for the past year and a half or so I have never, ever seen a positive post about Lamson. Chef Niloc even used to have "Lamson sucks" as his signature. So what's changed?

-AJ

Wow, I work for two days, and this thread jumps 10 pages. I've got some reading to do before I express some ofth ideas I've had. Tomorrow maybe
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    I must have missed something, but for the past year and a half or so I have never, ever seen a positive post about Lamson. Chef Niloc even used to have "Lamson sucks" as his signature. So what's changed?

-AJ
    I'm not trying to sound insulting when I say this- but I truly think you're missing the point...
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post

-AJ
    One of the goals of the project is to get Lamson back on track, so to speak, by having them make a great knife to our standards.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread