Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

if theres serious potential for a second run in stainless, would most people here be interested in western handle/carbon first....then maybe wa handle/stainless down the road? just throwing that out there. something for almost everybody.

I have an idea or two, I'll add a sketch later when I get home.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Here are a couple vintage handles from 1937. I will do a couple "updated" sketches later...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1937 LnG.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	13789
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LnG 1937-2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	13791
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1937 LnG.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	13790  

I like Lefty's handle suggestion too, but am open to other designs. Sabatier profile doesn't scream American revival to me, so I'm good with a wa/western handle. At this point, I would prefer to have a knife that we would recommend as the knife to buy, as opposed to American revival.

While it appears that most of us agree on profile and steel, there are two camps on handles: western vs wa.

Yeah, the profile came too easily, didn't it?

I'd like an update on the old style, but I honestly want a bolster Of some sort. When there isn't one, I'm always left wanting.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I honestly want a bolster Of some sort. When there isn't one, I'm always left wanting.
    I love bolsters! I think it adds to the sexiness of the knife. So far all of my custom orders (well 2 so far ) required bolsters.

-AJ

Just a suggestion, I think from an production point of view the knife blank is easy. I think there is more difficulty in the handle though. Before you get too far down the road you might want to check to see what your manufacturer's capabilities are for handles. You don't want to come up with some thing that requires them to add tooling, equipment or labor.

-AJ

Handle components can be CNC'ed for a reasonable price. Bolsters, and handle scales. But a consensus needs to be reached as far as handle shape.

Wow, another couple days and another 10 pages!

I think Pier's 1st cad drawing looks right on! - It reminds me of a lot of very popular profiles without looking exactly like any of them. Theory also brought up the same point that I made earlier that a profile shoot be "almost flat" with a veeerrrry slight curve to avoid the "clunk" that you get from a profiles that's actually "dead" flat.

As for the handle: I also really love bolsters, but personally, I don't think that it's appropriate for this project. Here's why:
    - Price: there's no getting around the price increase caused by boslters. The idea behind this knife is that it should be an excellent "first good knife" it should be a good alternative to Tojiro, Fuji FKM, TKC, etc. If price gets too far above $200, it puts it in competition with a whole other class of knives and really limits the market. Also, the $ to performance ration has to be as high as possible and, as "cool" as they are, bolsters don't really give you a significant performance improvement.

- KISS (KeepItSimpleStupid): We already know Lamnson has yet to produce a knife that is up to our standards OTB, adding the complexity of a bolster is just opening the door to a whole new list of potential problems.

- Limits to re-handle / customization: I think that it's a no-brainer to offer this knife (at a reduced price) sans-handle and sans-final-sharpening for all the knuts who will undoubtedly want to "pimp" it. Having a metal bolster really limits / complicates custom handle options.

Now, as for handle design: I feel very strongly that this should be a western handle and that the design should be EVOLUTIONARY not REVOLUTIONARY. With the exception of Michael Rader's work, the best western handles that I've ever used don't look all that different / showy over a tradition design, but there are some really subtle nuances that make all the difference / you just say "ahhhhhhh" when you hold them.

Two of the best examples are the Martell Gyuto and Gesshin Ginga's "coke bottle" designs (I'd be willing to lend either/ both to Lamson so that they can feel what pictures don't really show).

I don't have a good top-down pick of the Martell handle, can someone post one? Otherwise I'll take some the next day I have some free time / better light.
    http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningst...dm240gyulw.htm

You have to picture it w/o bolster, but there's no way you can say Micarta can't be sexy:

"I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Yes! Been waiting for someone to post a pic of a martell handle in the thread. Something based off that with a low cost wood (no two type wood to mimic a bolster to further reduce cost) imho would be perfect.