Quantcast
Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives - Page 27
Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    My vision for this knife is somewhat complicated and multi-leveled. I see this knife being:

Around 7 years from now, like the Hattori Forum knife.

The answer to, "I really want a great carbon steel knife that will last and impress for a very reasonable price. What should I get"?

And the stainless version that I hope comes out as a clone, with different steel should be the answer to, "What knife should I get that is low maintenance, and pure performance"?

This knife should not need to be upgraded, nor should it have what I call a "throw away handle". These aren't Carter SFGZ knives...no offense, Murray (we all know you read this forum).

Even though the price will be very reasonable, I don't want it to appear that we cheaped out. In fact, I won't cheap out. You'd be amazed what we can get done for a difference of only a few bucks.

This knife should be one that we don't get tired of in a year; It will be designed with quality and style in mind, and not a fleeting trend, or on the premise of, "well, guys are just going to change it anyways"

To further emphasis the above point, this is a complete package and NOT a knife blank.

This knife is designed with the input of the members here, to match up with our ideals, and overall skill-set. While we aren't all knife ninjas. We most definitely do have better knife skills than many chefs out there, and 99% of the general public.

However, there's no reason an advanced knife with upscale styling, great quality and high performance can't be affordable, feel good in anyone's hand and make people look at it and think, "Now that's a knife I would like to own".

I'm going to sketch up a couple quick and dirty pics of handles and see if this takes us in the right direction. I really do not want this knife to be made assuming part of it will be altered. I know this is likely to happen with pretty much any knife we get our hands on, but to design a knife with this mentality is to create a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure.
    +1 well said and I am in total agreement.

Those look good Pierre - a pinned ferrule in a different wood would be schwing.

Lefty/Tom,

I thought this was assumed, but ultimately this is your project, so you will get final say. Clearly you have some people like Pierre who know a lot, and obviously his opinion will carry more weight. And some other knowledgeable folks on here as well. All my comments are in the category of, "Please consider, but in the end, it's your call." I think it's great that different people are weighing in with different opinions, even if contradictory. It's a bit messy now, but in the long run will most likely yield a better result, since a lot of people have weighed in.

I personally like Pierre's last sketches--nice blend of classic and modern! I also think the pins should be smaller than what Lamson typically uses--the big ones don't feel right to me. And I was never in favor of a throwaway handle. We know some people will rehandle these, but I take that as more of a statement about them and their preferences, not a reflection of the knife itself. Maybe the handle will be so good almost no one will have it redone!

It seems premature to set a price point at this point, although discussions with Lamson of their range of possibilities would be good to narrow down the options and make sure the discussion fits within those parameters. Sometimes small changes can add a little or a lot to the price--I trust you guys have a much better idea of that than someone like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    While Dave's handle is the most comfortable western handle I have ever used, I think we need to acknowledge how sh!tt^ it would be to use his forum as a vehicle to steal his design.
    i never implied that we should steal his design. i just like it alot. that is all.

When I say a price point needs to be determined sooner rather than later I am not talking about how much you are willing to pay to buy said knife. I'm talking about how much are you willing to pay Lamson to make the knife.

-AJ

AJ, makes sense.

The handle on the Forgecraft (2nd pic in post #42) reminds me of some of the ideas being tossed around: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...hread%29/page5

(Though I'm not sure if it's a selling point to describe it as "coffin-shaped"! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    ...on a bolsterless straight wood handle, or even on a peened metal bolster for that matter.
    Though I doubt things would go in this direction, if there is a metal bolster, please no mokume. I've really come to dislike that material.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Karring says no mokume, WE AIN'T GONNA DO MOKUME!!! Get it, guys?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks for pandering to my fickle desires Tom. I might be one of the only people that hates mokume on this forum -- so if it prevails I will accept the winds of change and democratic lack of taste

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

lol!! I concur. If a bolster is chosen, brushed stainless would be the cheapest way to go.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com