Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

This gets my vote. And I agree with Tom, a spacer would be preferrable.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

So a simple, thin metal spacer, to match which ever pin we use? Whether copper, brass or stainless?

Do we have a group consensus?

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

That's exactly what I'm thinking. You'd know that if you answered my texts, dick! Haha. Just kidding.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    So a simple, thin metal spacer, to match which ever pin we use? Whether copper, brass or stainless?

Do we have a group consensus?
    Single pin, matching spacer IMO.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Unless we use blind pins 3 is better. (2 would be fine as well, but odd numbers have been the dominate voice so far)

Tom ya big lug! Ask a question I can answer instead of a statement! (Sheesh! Live in Ontario and the whole world revolves around you!! Your turn! )

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Alright, here we go again. I want to try to get a knife designed, tested and APPROVED by the membership, here. Dave has given us full permission to discuss the project here. I have this, so far, and Lamson is being contacted:

Well, the wheels are in motion...

Also, We likely need about 80 guys (I'm hoping we can bring this down to 50) committed to getting one, in order to make it really happen. Based on comments from a few guys, paired up with ideas I have/also had, my thoughts are going like this:

Lamson, because they deserve to get it right. Brian (at Lamson) cares and from what I've seen, will listen.

Forgecraft profile and maybe even some throwback texturing, if we can. However, slight design changes might happen, as a result of updating the design.

240mm gyuto

Western handle with some flavor.

I'm thinking 2.5-3mm at the heel, with a wicked distal taper, with a combo flat/upper convex (as I call it, almond) grind.

Steel type - either O1, CPM154 (which they're familiar with), or AEB-L. Stainless or carbon has to be decided.

CAD drawing will hopefully be started soon, by a guy who knows a thing or two.

Prototype to be passed around, quickly. Like a "two days and out" kinda thing. I have guys in mind.

As of right now, I say we focus on a gyuto/chef knife, since it's the knife that many of us have 10+ of, and it really is THE kitchen knife. If this actually happens and goes well, we can talk about a suji, petty and parer...though that's probably 320 knives we'd have to commit to, after A LOT of testing and tweaking, on four styles. Pretty daunting, if you ask me.
    I coulda sworn the goal was to make a vintage style throwback knife. We are wandering off the path here. Seems like everyone is making their fantasy knife and that is kinda mudding up the waters here. As I understand it the goal is to make an homage knife to the past with modern materials and techniques. We are not making Japanese influenced knives so, wa handles should be out. If you are doing North American vintage knives the vast majority of them have no bolsters or ferrules, Two slabs of wood and 3 to 5 pins. tapered full tang construction on a lot of them and full distal taper on the better ones.

What we can improve upon is the fit and finish, the comfortable shaping of the handle, a good grind, blade geometry and heat treat, Modern steels or vintage steels. This should be a simple, elegant and affordable work horse. less is more here guys. We are over thinking this. we don't even need fancy wood. Remember the wood on these old vintage knives were already high end, rosewood, ebony, cocobolo, walnut and beech. These woods were chosen because they were straight grained, strong woods that required very little maintenance, They were also chosen because with the advent of modern machinery they could be worked easily and with little waste. Any maker here can tell you burl and fancy woods look beautiful but, they are incredibly labor intensive and the waste is ridiculous between, chip outs, bark pockets, stones irregular grain patterns and treatments to stabilize them. All of these things are going to add significant cost to the end product. I don't think the original goal was to make a multi hundred dollar knife. It was to make a high quality, properly ground , heat treated and inexpensive knife accessible to everyone. Lets keep that goal in mind. All of us can get our fantasy knife made by someone we know, this knife is for those people who can't fantasize at that level and shouldn't have too.
    Don't want to come off like a dick, just my 2 cents worth.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

That one get my vote as well - great job!

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I coulda sworn the goal was to make a vintage style throwback knife. We are wandering off the path here. Seems like everyone is making their fantasy knife and that is kinda mudding up the waters here. As I understand it the goal is to make an homage knife to the past with modern materials and techniques. We are not making Japanese influenced knives so, wa handles should be out. If you are doing North American vintage knives the vast majority of them have no bolsters or ferrules, Two slabs of wood and 3 to 5 pins. tapered full tang construction on a lot of them and full distal taper on the better ones.

What we can improve upon is the fit and finish, the comfortable shaping of the handle, a good grind, blade geometry and heat treat, Modern steels or vintage steels. This should be a simple, elegant and affordable work horse. less is more here guys. We are over thinking this. we don't even need fancy wood. Remember the wood on these old vintage knives were already high end, rosewood, ebony, cocobolo, walnut and beech. These woods were chosen because they were straight grained, strong woods that required very little maintenance, They were also chosen because with the advent of modern machinery they could be worked easily and with little waste. Any maker here can tell you burl and fancy woods look beautiful but, they are incredibly labor intensive and the waste is ridiculous between, chip outs, bark pockets, stones irregular grain patterns and treatments to stabilize them. All of these things are going to add significant cost to the end product. I don't think the original goal was to make a multi hundred dollar knife. It was to make a high quality, properly ground , heat treated and inexpensive knife accessible to everyone. Lets keep that goal in mind. All of us can get our fantasy knife made by someone we know, this knife is for those people who can't fantasize at that level and shouldn't have too.
    I believe the primary focus is still there. There has been some fantasy posts here and there, but the general impetus seems to be geared toward a modern throwback, that can be produced on a large scale, without feeling like a mass produced knife. Emphasis there on modern btw.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post

I think that this was one of the major forks on the project initially. It could have been combined, but the fork as I read was:
    1) vintage throwback with modern grind, geometry, proper HT, and quality fit and finish
    2) knife that KKF members would recommend without hestitation, better than Shuns, Globals, Germans, and Hattori FH.

This knife is on more on path 2) once we went sabatier profile and passed on single wood scales, which is fine with me. I would also enjoy a 1) per Son's outline. Perhaps if this knife is successful, Lefty and Pierre would organize something along this path.

We hope so, Don.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com