Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

Id like to be in on this, although I am not as knowledgable as most here on profiles and what not. Still love me a great knife.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    I always loved the profile of the sab on the bottom. Nice flat spot without too much belly in the tip.
    +1 to that.

You can get vintage ones in carbon, though the blades are often bent. A new one in state-of-the-art semi-stainless, with an unbent blade and 3 brass rivets in the handle, would be a stone winner.

I would definitely be in on this! I really like the look of the bottom sab K-fed posted. And since it's an 'hommage' to ODC's I think it should be carbon and western handle. Maybe a take on forgecrafts handles. But what do I know? Great initiative, Tom!

The Sab profile seems to be a runaway favourite, so far. Do you guys like the slightly bellied tip, or is a flatter, more Kramer inspired tip better?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Yes! This is a nice profile IMO. Not to derail- but I think it's somewhat pertinent- how does it perform Rick? And I'm speaking strictly in regards to the blade profile btw.
    Pierre's interpretation of the Sabatier profile performs extremely well. The curve of the edge starts a bit earlier, and adds a "gyuto flavor" to the profile, if that makes any sense. I'd have to flip a coin to decide which I favor, Pierre's or the classic.

Pierre and I have bee discussing this all day, and we don't think it's a good idea to do an exact replica of anything. However, he would be more than fine with it being like his, but with a couple tweaks I'd like to see (and you guys). I'm thinking tighten up the ricasso, or even make it a bit angled, rather than curved. Thoughts?
    09/06

Here is an old Lamson 10" - it has a very nice profile and I did not change anything when I refurbed and rehandled it.

Agreed that this knife should not be a copy, especially one of the custom makers we support on KKF.

k-fed's bottom sabatier profile in O1 @ 61 HRC sounds grand to me. I had suggested a forgecraft profile as that strikes me as an american knife (no doubt the result of KKF). And an updated version would be nice. However, a sabatier in harder steel is something that doesn't exist in the market (at least to my knowledge) and this would have much broader appeal.

Anyways, I'm down for a knife.
    Last edited by don; 03-01-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: typo

I wonder what the numbers are without even a sketch? This is great, guys!
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Pierre and I have bee discussing this all day, and we don't think it's a good idea to do an exact replica of anything. However, he would be more than fine with it being like his, but with a couple tweaks I'd like to see (and you guys). I'm thinking tighten up the ricasso, or even make it a bit angled, rather than curved. Thoughts?
    Honestly, the input seems fairly consistent and I think that with a little bit of 'help' from Pierre that you will wind up making something that works great for most everyone. That being said, I will show my ignorance (even after a site and google search) and ask what exactly is the ricasso? Seems to be near the handle, but I can't picture it even with pictures.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right