Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franzb69

Reaction score
Okay, so in spirit of the idea of a possible KKF line.... it has been suggested that we make a new thread

so here it is!

Firstly, we need Dave's blessing or permission.....

then if that's a go

we need a certain number of people.

Lefty said it would be probably 80 people for a chef knife then a possible batch of other knives in the future.

then we can start throwing ideas in as to what the knife will look like, perform and materials used.

I'll let the others who really had this idea talk, I'm just showing that I'm this serious to wanna be in this.

=D

Guys, we're going to have to discuss this possibility over at my sub-forum. Dave has given us full blessing, but unfortunately, with everything involved, we won't be able to call it the "KKF Knife". Let's move this topic over to my sub-forum.

I guess it's the "to London Chef Knife".

Thanks for letting us discuss it and use the community like this, Dave!

Alright, here we go again. I want to try to get a knife designed, tested and APPROVED by the membership, here. Dave has given us full permission to discuss the project here. I have this, so far, and Lamson is being contacted:

Well, the wheels are in motion...

Also, We likely need about 80 guys (I'm hoping we can bring this down to 50) committed to getting one, in order to make it really happen. Based on comments from a few guys, paired up with ideas I have/also had, my thoughts are going like this:

Lamson, because they deserve to get it right. Brian (at Lamson) cares and from what I've seen, will listen.

Forgecraft profile and maybe even some throwback texturing, if we can. However, slight design changes might happen, as a result of updating the design.

240mm gyuto

Western handle with some flavor.

I'm thinking 2.5-3mm at the heel, with a wicked distal taper, with a combo flat/upper convex (as I call it, almond) grind.

Steel type - either O1, CPM154 (which they're familiar with), or AEB-L. Stainless or carbon has to be decided.

CAD drawing will hopefully be started soon, by a guy who knows a thing or two.

Prototype to be passed around, quickly. Like a "two days and out" kinda thing. I have guys in mind.

As of right now, I say we focus on a gyuto/chef knife, since it's the knife that many of us have 10+ of, and it really is THE kitchen knife. If this actually happens and goes well, we can talk about a suji, petty and parer...though that's probably 320 knives we'd have to commit to, after A LOT of testing and tweaking, on four styles. Pretty daunting, if you ask me.

This is a full collaboration project, so I want everyone interested to put your opinion out there. I need to know: Carbon or Stainless? Wa or Western? Handle Material? Is everyone good with a throwback design, in the spirit of me loving vintage knives so much (just like many others here)?

This is a great idea and I know Lamson does AEB-L :bliss:

sandwiched like a western handle but an octagonal wa like handle? =D also easier to make grinding off a square-ish handle to 8 sides....

stainless might be a good option for newer people, can always get a carbon version later on.......

but i do love me some carbon....

would love that forgecraft texturing put on there for a vintage look

Why Forgecraft? If I was to remake a knife I'd look to recreate a Sabatier in CPM154. The only thing I'd do different is raise and reprofile the bolster to be able to sharpen the heel.

O1 western would be interesting. I might be in the minority here, but I really like bolsterless westerns, but I know I'm alone on this.

On the fordgecraft pattern, that would be interesting, but most of us who like that, have a few already.

I'm so in on this, and I'll think of some more ideas and post them later.

Also, something tall would be nice. Not to many tall gyuto's out there, unless we want to pay Butch prices, not a bad thing, but we all can't afford that.

Handle material.... Something fun, but maybe with classic look and feel

a yes and a yes to 50/50 grind! =p

if it's gonna be carbon, we gotta find out what swedish carbon steel misono uses on their swedish line!! =D

no bolster would help keep the costs down though

I do like the Sab idea, but maybe without a finger guard at all, but the same profile

Awesome. This is what we need.

I'll tell you, we got a definite "I'm interested" from Lamson, so this is a definite possibility. It'll take time to figure it out, but the first part is figuring out a profile. Here's where the membership comes in huge. Let's figure out a profile. If you guys have one you love, or elements you love, attach a sketch/photo/whatever showing me what you would like to see. First things we need to figure out are profile and while we do this, there's no reason we can't figure out the steel type.

So attach those pics, guys!

No preference on steel other than that it be something these guys do well, Western, 50/50 profile, agree with concerns about sharpening heel if going Sab route. For handle, I'm thinking reminiscent of vintage simplicity in terms of shape and size, but with fit and finish of modern rehandles using upscale and unique wood and finishing touches, e.g. custom or or brass pins, etc. Something that pays homage to the vintage look while clearly showing that it is modern and gorgeous. I'm definitely interested in this.

This knife will be 50/50, by the way

Haha. We'll get that sorted...AFTER A PROFILE! :D

Seriously, if this is really happening, we need to decide on it first. The rest is just details.

Any vague ideas about a price point?

the materials and the design will pretty much dictate that me thinks.

yes to a sab profile +1

Another yes to sab profile without bolster if you are willing to add females to this party.

Only females from San Antonio and wherever Lucretia (Sharpshooter) is from.

Are we talking Nogent or the other Sab?

im down with a forgecraft profile, or sab, or whatever. as long as its on the flat side. i like 240mm knives that run long...245-250mm, if possible. maybe 50mm in height at the choil?

I am in. I will toss a few ideas out on profile once I get off work.

Woo-Hoo, Lefty you are the man! I am interested. I also vote for the Sab profile (minus or minimized of the nasty finger guard/bolster), 50/50 sounds good. I would prefer carbon (maybe 01). If not carbon, is there any semi-stainless which might get us the best of both worlds? +1 to ~50mm on the heel. Oh yeah, traditional rather than nogent.

Cheers

I always loved the profile of the sab on the bottom. Nice flat spot without too much belly in the tip.
35sV6.jpg

Flat Sab/forgecraft hybrid. I think it should go with out saying at this point that there wouldn't be a finger guard style bolster. I'm thinking 3.5-4 mm at the spine choil point, convex grind down to 1mm or less at the heel. And a wicked distal taper. I'm trying to remember who had a custom updated Sab, I think it was Canadian, and I believe Pierre did it. I could be wrong on both those counts, but I really enjoyed the look of that knife in terms of profile. Anybody remember what I'm talking about?

Sab sounds very promising. I love the bottom knife. I actually just got my best-friend a Sab for his birthday. Kinda says what I think of them. :)

And yup, it was Canadian and Pierre. I know the current owner really well, so it might be a great starting point. With that being said, let's keep the ideas for profile coming.

Latest posts

Back