Quantcast
Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives - Page 8
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

I'd love to see a KS clone profile. A forgecraft profile is nice and fun to use but what's stopping me from just getting a forgecraft on ebay? Same with a sabatier? I'd love to see a western handle KS profile, strong distal taper with a bit of heft to the knife, not a laser by any means, but not a brute, built to be a cutter. Convex grind to a flat behind the edge. Good height to it, not takeda high, but not a gyuto/suji hybrid as I'd love to see a suji and a scimitar down the line if it's a good line and a short gyuto would then make the suji a bit redundant. It would also mean that you could get more life out of it with a bit of height, not a concern for most, but still would be nice. Carbon would be cool and would separate it from other knife lines. This has to be marketable to the knife community and what I would guess to be pros and serious hobby cooks. Doesn't seem to be the goal to produce another knife block set. I'm thinking like how the zwilling kramer has found a niche but, more like a refined working man's carbon knife than a showy piece to impress your sur la table friends. No mosaic pins, no gaudiness, just a knife that's beautiful in its simplicity. I could go either way on the forgemarks, but picking a carbon that develops a nice patina (W2? something else?) would be ideal and I think in the long run it would look better without the marks. It should not have any type of integrated bolster, such a pain when sharpening. I'm picturing a 3 rivet handle western handle, brass rivets, with a good width to it but no sharp edges to it. My old Masahiro VC rosewood handle comes to mind after I rounded it out a bit. Something that initially feels a bit big in the hand, but sturdy and form fitting because it's been rounded over. As lamson is a new england company, you could get a good looking handle using the Mass state tree (elm) or some other typical new england wood like maybe cherry. I think this would fit the motif I have in mind better than some crazy burl. Even hickory or ash would be good, but I'd prefer something with at least a honey type hue or darker, maybe with a reddish tint. I think the handle should be non-stabilized wood, something that will patina over time with the knife and have more of a warmth to it. I'd love to eventually see a 270 and even a 300 come out as I'm more partial to longer knives. It would be nice to have a leather sheath or have it come with a leather strop or something to make it unique, but if it's raises the price considerably, I think it would be fine without. A sub $200 knife would be ideal, and I think with the right material selection it could be doable. I'd love to be part of the testing. I work in two kitchens with heavy prep demands and would love to put it through the wringer.

Seeing as there sounds like a split on edge length, lets put it out there. Pick a number. 220-270 mm Whats the general preference?

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

ps, smaller rivets not the larger ones they use on most of their knives.

I like the sab idea (third profile down in photo). Length: 265. It seems as if many custom '240s' are around 260 anyhow.

k.

Edit: I have a 270 in AEB-L already. O1 or 52100 is fine with me. I'd still buy with CPM154.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Engorged Member
    250ish on length is my vote.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by pleue View Post
    A forgecraft profile is nice and fun to use but what's stopping me from just getting a forgecraft on ebay? Same with a sabatier? .
    Maybe a superior steel and HT? I love my Forgecraft, especially the profile. It doesn't hold an acceptable edge long enough though, I'm sure the same can be said for a lot of ODC knives.
    Build it stronger, better, some TV show I'm ripping off now.......
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Three rivets with K-K-F in them. Just kidding -- sort of.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Three rivets with K-K-F in them. Just kidding -- sort of.

k.
    I like this idea, actually.

Length: 240-270 is fine, would prefer closer to 270 than 240 though.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I like this idea, actually.

Length: 240-270 is fine, would prefer closer to 270 than 240 though.
    I can't believe I said rivets...pins.

k.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    250ish on length is my vote.
    250 on the edge.