Quantcast
Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

I'm too digging that bottom Sab. It would be really interesting to go with a classic French profile, albeit a little thinner. Nt laser thin, but thinner than say the traditional French style
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

old hickory profile wouldn't be so bad either =D

but yeah sabs is good

seems to me the top sab on is the original profile then when it got used the profile started to look like the one on the bottom.... just an observation (i'm more than likely wrong, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Flat Sab/forgecraft hybrid. I think it should go with out saying at this point that there wouldn't be a finger guard style bolster. I'm thinking 3.5-4 mm at the spine choil point, convex grind down to 1mm or less at the heel. And a wicked distal taper. I'm trying to remember who had a custom updated Sab, I think it was Canadian, and I believe Pierre did it. I could be wrong on both those counts, but I really enjoyed the look of that knife in terms of profile. Anybody remember what I'm talking about?
    If you are referring to this knife, I'd be happy to provide measurements. It is close to a Sabatier profile, but not exact. The tip is a little lower.

I've got a question about the grind.

Why the "combo flat/upper convex (as I call it, almond) grind"? The best performing knives I've used/owned are extremely thin behind the edge, but were also convex ground on the lower half of the knife above the edge (e.g., SFGZ Carter - which is convexed in the lower half and concave in the upper half, Mario, Kochi, Gesshin Ginga - slightly convexed because it's a laser). Also, IIRC, the Tilman knife I used and the Gengetsu I used had convex grinds in the lower half of the blade above the edge.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Sab/KS shape sounds very interesting indeed. Skip the bolster for sure. Wa handle??? Nothing too flashy but utilitarian for the handle. I'm pretty attached to the flat left side in Japanese blades, but if the grind is right, I can get into a 50/50. I'd love to see something close to a Suisin IH in feel but with a bit more of the Sab/KS profile.

Technically, not flat...very very slight convex at the bottom. However, to go thin, it has to be fairly flat just above the edge. Convex up above "above the edge" for release. Though that will all be part of the testing stages. For now, profile is what we need to start with.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    If you are referring to this knife, I'd be happy to provide measurements. It is close to a Sabatier profile, but not exact. The tip is a little lower.

Yes! This is a nice profile IMO. Not to derail- but I think it's somewhat pertinent- how does it perform Rick? And I'm speaking strictly in regards to the blade profile btw.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Sab profile - K Fed's bottom pic

O1 @ 61

Possibility of buying without handle? I'm sure half of them wil end up being rehandled anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Yes! This is a nice profile IMO. Not to derail- but I think it's somewhat pertinent- how does it perform Rick? And I'm speaking strictly in regards to the blade profile btw.
    I agree. This profile looks really good. 01 somewhere at 61-63. I like both style handles but that'll be for later

Nah, I think we're gong with the whole kit on this one. Maybe it's ego, or a desire for order, but I want these to at least start out all the same. Don't worry, though, the handles will be great...when we get there.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

+ Reply to Thread