Quantcast
Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives - Page 12
Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

octagonal to get the feel of a wa handle and still getting a western handle scale type of look. at the same time lefty and righty friendly. =D

western handle with rivets and octagonal shape.... and you still get to put on the integral bolster......handles to be sandwiched onto the tang

sound good?

I like where Marko has gone moreso in this respect handle wise. Not saying we need to ape all the other custom makers on here... But if it ain't gonna be an integral bolster, and everyone seems to be leaning more towards western(myself excluded, but I'll play along for now), its best to examine some of the better concepts out there. I'm more for a chunkier ferrule/bolster as I prefer to have that rest/reference point when doing long cutting sessions, which often involve changing ones grip depending on the product/cut. Which is also why I dig an octagonal handle over a typical western. I feel it's more versatile overall... Just had to throw that out there...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

This sounds interesting, but since a "real" bolster seems out of the question, why not just do a Wa? Cheaper, simple and stylish. Use stabilized woods.
    And i'm not just saying this because i am pretty much a wa-only kinda a guy.... Well i am (almost anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
    This sounds interesting, but since a "real" bolster seems out of the question, why not just do a Wa? Cheaper, simple and stylish. Use stabilized woods.
    And i'm not just saying this because i am pretty much a wa-only kinda a guy.... Well i am (almost anyway)
    Wa could also save some expense and allow for more leeway in other areas?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I'm in, everything i'v read (that I understand...) sounds great. On the subject of handles as we consider style and material should we be thinking about weight balance? But i'm with Theory and Franzb the integrated bolster sounds good, I for one like the octagon handle most but a coke bottle western could be very cool.

well i want in on this list. i know they will be grabbed fast. I can't wait to see prospective plans

One other thing tho, I would like to request that we make it one knife per person (to start) so that as many people who want one get in, and then IF there are some left in the production run, sell multiples to those interested. TBH i assume there would be some dissapointed people if someone buys 2-3-4 for gifts and such and yet others don't get one for themselves. Granted I know this all revolves around money, but I hope we can spread the love as much as possible

I don't look for a moment and a frenzy has broken out Not getting involved, there are enough maniacs here and I am sure whatever the final agreement will be, the knife will be worth getting. I am still a bit surprised and find it a bit awkward, though, that this seems to fixate on the company that also produces knives for 'others' that get rather mixed reviews, although I understand the American-made approach. Well, continue everybody, give me some time to save up the money, and then tell me where to send it to get one of these. Oh, and of course a wa handle version would be nice Or one without handles. What I really would not want to see is pakka wood or some of these things...

Stefan

a synthetic handle like g10 or micarta in wa octagonal could look good....

the coke bottle would be really comfortable too, but not as flexible as to the ways one could grip the knife (i wouldn't know coz i've never hand one).....

i too will start saving up my cash for this. this will for sure get me pretty broke, no matter what the cost. lol.

a simpler designed handle will keep the price down

burnt chestnut with integral bolster? or any other lighter colored wood that gets nice and burnt-y? =D

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I don't look for a moment and a frenzy has broken out Not getting involved, there are enough maniacs here and I am sure whatever the final agreement will be, the knife will be worth getting. I am still a bit surprised and find it a bit awkward, though, that this seems to fixate on the company that also produces knives for 'others' that get rather mixed reviews, although I understand the American-made approach. Well, continue everybody, give me some time to save up the money, and then tell me where to send it to get one of these. Oh, and of course a wa handle version would be nice Or one without handles. What I really would not want to see is pakka wood or some of these things...

Stefan
    I too am a bit concerned about this (the "other" knives seems to lack cutting ability), but i assume this will be taken care of by careful specification and approval of a golden first sample?
    There would be no point in doing this if it comes out a dog. Especially if the price tag starts reaching for the $200 mark.

Big fan of wood rather than all synthetic handle by the way. Ferrule could be G10 or similar though. Altthough a stabilized wood makes a nice ferrule to.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Honestly I am liking what Theory suggested. not to sure about having Lamson making it. But with supervision I hope they do better than what I have seen from their work.
    Chewie's the man.