Quantcast
Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives - Page 17
Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

I just saw this thread late last night, and have read through most of it. I'm interested! (I didn't read 100% of the posts, but read most of them.)

Any idea of the timeline of this projected, particularly with expected delivery? This is all new to me, so I have no real idea, and want to know how fast I need to start saving!

From my standpoint, once the price goes over $200, I start getting nervous. I'm willing to go higher, but I'll think about it more. I know that's not that much money for a bunch of you, but not that long ago, spending over $200 on a knife would have been unthinkable for me.

I'd also strongly suggest a no-handle and/or a potential custom handle option if at all possible. Lefty, I know your vision is for them to start the same. However, knowing that many people will customize the handle, it would be really nice to acknowledge that reality and make that a viable option. IMHO, it just seems wasteful, and unnecessarily expensive, to put on a perfectly good handle that is going to be quickly removed by a significant number of buyers. If that required a later, smaller batch, I would wait. Or maybe even have the option for folks to choose their own stabilized blocks, send them in, and have them used for the handles. I'm sure at least a good number would go with the standard handle, since a lot of thought is going into that and all aspects of this knife.

What about calling it the Forum Kitchen Knife? (FKK--better say that as letters rather than a single syllable acronym! ;-) "Forum" is a general word, and anyone talking about this knife is going to quickly mention KKF when explaining how this knife was developed, and that name's a sort of a play on that?

So, there's my input. I think this is a great idea and look forward to hearing more about it as the project moves forward! I also look forward to reaping the collective wisdom of so many people on here of designing a kind of consensus knife that puts a lot of great features together into one knife!

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    One of the goals of the project is to get Lamson back on track, so to speak, by having them make a great knife to our standards.

Rick
    Ok. I didn't realize that was the purpose.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I'm not trying to sound insulting when I say this- but I truly think you're missing the point...
    I think it's a legitimate question so yes i find your response insulting.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    I think it's a legitimate question so yes i find your response insulting.

-AJ
    Apologies.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Not too many forum members would pick a Lamson as their go to knife, nor would they likely choose any number knives from big producers that mere mortals are delighted with. I suspect that a lot of members have no experience with a Lamson knife. That doesn't mean they just make lousy knives, just not up to our standards ...yet. They are willing to listen and we have a good degree of control. I like the idea of giving a motivated North American company a shot at this. I'm in for at least 2 or 3. Our common goals are mostly the same. I thank Lefty, Pierre, Franz, Mike, Tom, Rich and everybody else for their input.
    When this is done and we are all delighted with our knives, perhaps Lefty could could convince Pierre of taking it up a few notches and offer a group buy

Here's what we have so far. We're thinking O1 (and maybe a stainless like AEB-L if we can), hardened to Pierre's specs, to 61-62hrc. The handle design is coming, so you never know. We might be able to do a mix of western and wa.

Here's the initial drawing. This is a starting point, and way to get the ideas flowing. You can see it's a Sab, with a cool topline, dropped tip and tightened choil (compared to Pierre's). Let me know what you think.

Thanks, guys!

09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Looks great.

I like the looks of that very much.

Nailed it.

looks good to me.