Quantcast
Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives - Page 37
Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

the topmost cleaver handle does it for me, with or without the ferrule.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

The mock up shape is really nice Pierre. I like the first cleaver with a simple spacer and two woods. Combine the two and you may have it.

FWIW, I like the cleaver handle.

Pierre that mock-up is my favorite so far. I think the shaping of that handle looks right on. I think the bolster looks great but I am suspicious that it will jack the price too high. If the price climbs to $200 it has to be as good or better than: Misono Swedish, Kikuichi TKC, Mac Pro, Hiromoto AS to name a few. I think keeping the price down and focusing on quality performance over bling is the clearest route to finding a solid niche in the market.

I like the mock up handle, but more eased and softened, not as faceted. Chuckles is also has a good point about the knives that this knife will have to compete against in a given price bracket. It would be a massive achievement if this knife could outperform all of those examples. (I hope so!!!)

Guys, I have a few minutes, finally. I have to warn you, I'll be busy tomorrow, Monday and maybe all week if we end up finding somewhere warm and sunny to go for a few days. I really don't want to hold this up, so I'll pop in when I can, throw my opinion out there, and maybe sneak a quick call or two into Pierre.

Soooo, as he said, I think the first cleaver with G10, a thin spacer and cocobolo would be virtually perfect. The "polls" seem split, as it stands. However, I think this handle wound give the knife a very distinct identity, look and feel that matches the quality, and it also makes me remember that less can be more, in terms of classic styling.

It's tough to find a shape/look that the large majority will not only accept, but truly appreciate. I hope these handles are close, if not the answer.

And in regards to the FH, I have a 240 and 270 gyuto coming my way. I can honestly say, if our knife doesn't feel as great and perform at least as well, we'll hold off on production until it does. To outperform the direct competition, you have to know and study it, which I'll be doing plenty of. And yes, I'm saying that the FH is our direct competition, with this knife. I know one is stainless, and the other is carbon, but in terms of performance, price, quality and customer base, this is who I hope we can beat.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Interesting. When this started my first thought was "Artifex Killer" as to the competition. That raises the bar a bit, good on you Lefty.

I like the combination of the G10 with cocobolo. I think if that combo has the shape and contours of the mock up it would be a solid winner on the 01 blade. Form and function, yea baby!

Lefty, decided against NYC? I was looking forward to hear about the fun you have there. Have a great getaway!

I can knock the copper off, pop on some G10, change the shape of the front of the bolster and "have a look". The wa-ish facets really give a firm, comfortable grip. Someone mentioned the slick feel of a full round. This would counter that. Coupled with the fact it taper in two planes front to back (side to side, and top to bottom) it is a nice feel. also, I tucked in the scales at the back, instead of leaving them straight.

I think form and function, this is closer to a true wa/western hybrid.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    I can knock the copper off, pop on some G10, change the shape of the front of the bolster and "have a look". The wa-ish facets really give a firm, comfortable grip. Someone mentioned the slick feel of a full round. This would counter that. Coupled with the fact it taper in two planes front to back (side to side, and top to bottom) it is a nice feel. also, I tucked in the scales at the back, instead of leaving them straight.

I think form and function, this is closer to a true wa/western hybrid.
    I really like the sound of this Pierre.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    I tucked in the scales at the back, instead of leaving them straight.
    I noticed that and I think it looks really cool that way. I can imagine holding it and it seems right.

I wonder how it would look with 3 pins/rivets with one of them in the G10?