Quantcast
anyone here into edible gardening? - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone here into edible gardening?

Looks better in a muscle shirt than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Nice!

Has anyone heard of dog hair deterring deer from eating your bulbs, etc? I was told it works, but have no need to try it since I live in suburbia.
    Before we put up our fencing we trying just about everything including different animal urines. Never tried dog hair though. I can tell you that when deer are hungry enough nothing will deter them and they'll eat just about anything.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

nice to see more people posting. great lookin gardens. am so jealous. the soil in my garden is just dead. been trying to build it up for years. no success yet.

That's a problem I have. Been composting for a couple years trying to build up the soil. It's an organic garden. Currently we're limited in what we can plant. Not such a big deal since we hooked up with the organic farmer down the road. (And the pig farm is just down the road from there. Being in the sticks has it's advantages.)

at least you have access to someone that knows his stuff and pig poo (assuming the pigs aren't diseased or anything).....

i'm actually thinking of doing aquaponics instead. might be easier for me and my back.

We use something called Moo Doo. Gotta love those marketers.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

I love to garden. Strictly edible. I even make and sell cedar raised beds for a living here in the Seattle area.

Had some saffron that we grew last night (and it was good!) The saffron crocus's spring-blooming cousins are in bloom right now. Even if they aren't edible, the bees love them, so they're good for honey production. (If you look there's a big fat bumble bee in the middle of the photo. The first one we've seen this year.)

Name:  Spring5.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  15.4 KB
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

would love to be able to grow saffron here. kinda hard importing whole live bulbs into the country. would love to try though.

I posted this awhile back. It's not purely edible but, about 50 percent edible and 100% medicinal. This is just my mothers front yard. The backyard contains mi fathers vegetable garden and many more plants.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ggEVRpPJ0

Mom's front yard

I thought you guys my get a kick out of my mom's front yard. My parents live in Southern California, El Toro, actually. My mother is Vietnamese and we think subconsciously she is trying to recreate Vietnam. This is just the entrance to the front yard mind you. The part before the gate is the street view and as we walk past the gate you will see a pond filled with water hyacinths. My father and I built that when we first moved into the house in 88" it's about 1500 gallons and three feet deep at the deepest. As you walk over the stone bridge you pass by the waterfall and head into the house. The front yard is full of fruit trees (papayas, mangos, persimmons, longan, litchii, sapotes, donut peaches, white nectarines , many kinds of bananas, guavas, kumquats and the large canopy tree is a cherimoya that puts out 2+ kilo fruit. She is one of the few people in the California that grows pineapples consistently. You can't even fathom what is going on in the back yard. Between the hundreds of varieties of orchids, epiphyllums, 40 different fruit trees and literally 20,000 plus plants, 2 ponds, 1 waterfall, five shade houses, 20 hummingbird and dove nest throughout the yard and dozens of exotic amphibian species that just showed up with the plants. Not to mention the racoons, possums, great blue heron, egrets, hawks and what appears to be a wild family of four wild long tailed weasels that have taken up residents. The ponds were filled with very large and rare species of koi that we raised from goldfish size to 24in before the 4 damn 65 pound raccoons and heron ate them all. We had 2 dozen in the 12 in to 24 in range. Now we just have goldfish, salamanders, turtles and giant apple snails. Hope you guys like it.

What!!!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

+ Reply to Thread