Quantcast
anyone here into edible gardening? - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone here into edible gardening?

A couple added advantages are being able to garden without stooping or squatting
    i always get a small stool for me to sit on before i start playing around in the dirt (as i would call it). me and my bad back!

I hear you about the bad back! We're on glacial till--horrible stuff to dig. There are rocks, rocklike clay, and some more rocks. When we moved here before I started digging I looked like this:

Name:  newmar.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  9.9 KB

Now after of few year of digging rocks:

Name:  41KhvMQDSOL.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  8.1 KB
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Now after of few year of digging rocks:
    i started out looking like that, i only got worse =D

just some trees i have in the garden

lemon tree

kaffir lime

calamansi / calamondin

these trees i planted, my family has a few other like a couple mango trees, jambul / black plum / duhat / java plum, my tamarind tree died (dunno why)....

Great shots from half way around the world. Waiting for the snow to start again. No garden for another month or so.

I envy you people in warmer climes. The growing season is so limited in Canada, and you really can't grow a lot of things. I would drink so much gin if I could grow my own limes, for example.

Last year I was in an apartment, so all I had was potted plants. This year I moved into a house, so I'll have space for real veggies. Here's last year:

Basil:

Parsley, Oregano, Thyme are in the background on the left. Tarragon and Rosemary on the right. This was early in the season, so the new shoots were starting to pop up among the old. A month or so later it was bushy and amazing, but I don't have pictures of that.

Chinese 5 colour peppers,all still on colour 1. The one in the middle is just starting to turn:

Early Jalapenos, some are close to ready to harvest:

A couple of cherry tomato plants in the back. One was a red, the other a black. Black cherries are nice, but they don't have a yield like I expect from tomato plants. Which is actually kinda nice, if you normally drown in tomatoes.

I'm eagerly awaiting this spring, as I'll be putting in a garden where there was no garden before. The fiancee has given me the green light to rip up half the back yard, which is currently all grass. I'll have to tear it all up, then stir up the soil a good bit and probably fertilize somehow. I don't even know what kind of soil I've got and I don't really (at all) know what I'm doing. It's going to be so much fun.

edit: Until the raccoons show up and ruin it, of course.

i envy you guys that you can grow the kind of herbs and vegetables i wanna grow. lol. and access to all that organic this and that to grow with. there aren't any organic pesticides here, just have to make your own and get creative if you wanna be completely organic.

I'm eagerly awaiting this spring, as I'll be putting in a garden where there was no garden before. The fiancee has given me the green light to rip up half the back yard, which is currently all grass. I'll have to tear it all up, then stir up the soil a good bit and probably fertilize somehow. I don't even know what kind of soil I've got and I don't really (at all) know what I'm doing. It's going to be so much fun.
    from what i've learned from youtubers out there who love to garden, you can have your soil tested. find out what kind of pH it is, what kind of soil it is, what it lacks and what needs to be added to. and then you can go to your local office and ask about what varieties grow well within your area. you could look out for heirloom varieties that grow well for you so you can save the seeds and grow them the next year if you so choose. if you have access to compost, compost is the best stuff you can use. used coffee grinds, dolomitic lime, glacial rock dust, etc.

this stuff i can't do since i don't have access to that sort of stuff. heirloom varieties here have almost but disappeared except for a few people who stick to what they know and do well.

i have a b!tch of a time trying to grow herbs. well, herbs that seems to hate to grow here. like thyme, rosemary, western / european stuff. i don't really like eating or growing stuff that's local since it's all the same old boring stuff for me. i like having stuff that are hard to find.

Part of the plan for the spring involves putting in a composter and rain barrel. To start with, I'll have to use purchased compost.

I've heard of the soil tests, but I honestly don't think I'll bother. I should be able to spot what type of soil I've got by eye, and from there I should be good.

If you live near a Starbucks, they will give you used coffee grounds for your compost pile. They call it "Grounds for Gardeners". I don't drink Starbucks, but I get grounds pretty regularly. It'll really get your compost perking!
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller