Quantcast
anyone here into edible gardening? - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: anyone here into edible gardening?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    If you live near a Starbucks, they will give you used coffee grounds for your compost pile. They call it "Grounds for Gardeners". I don't drink Starbucks, but I get grounds pretty regularly. It'll really get your compost perking!
    That's good to know, thanks.

i ask for coffee grounds from starbucks all the time. i ask for the whole bag. hehe.

I love edible gardening! it's so exciting and rewarding. we tried tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants, pimans, and shishito peppers last year. I really want to try some herbs, strawberries, carrots, turnips.... but when i actually have a garden/backyard, my first choices will be sweet potatoes, corns, potatoes, peach trees, cherry trees, water melons, and some awesome herbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

I've heard of the soil tests, but I honestly don't think I'll bother. I should be able to spot what type of soil I've got by eye, and from there I should be good.
    This may not be such a good idea. Soil tests show the chemical composition, something you can't see with the eye. Based on the chemical composition you can find out what supplements you need to add to have a better soil.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Name:  IMG_0418.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  29.5 KB

Soil tests are essential for any garden that is larger than a planter box. With out soil tests even Rye and Brassica can be hard to grow. You can tell what type of soil you have by eye but certainly not the composition. Soil tests are not expensive and you can get them done through several State Universities with Ag programs like Michingan State. Any one else have a tractor?

Name:  IMG_0437.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  20.1 KB
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Show off!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

People have gardened for thousands of years without soil tests. You need them if you want to maximize yields, but I'm just doing it for fun. Chemistry isn't fun.

It's not a lot of fun when nothing grows well either. If your turning a new garden just dumping fertilizer and compost may work, it might also make things worse. A soil sample is uber easy. Just scoop up some of your soil and send it in along with a list of what you want to grow. You'll get back a breakdown of your soil and what you need to add. It doesn't have to be overly complex. Just take your test result to the garden center your going to buy supplies from and give them the measurements for the area you are working with and then they will be able to tell you what fertlizer and how much. Saves a lot of time, $$$ and frustration. IIR a test here is about $20.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    People have gardened for thousands of years without soil tests. You need them if you want to maximize yields, but I'm just doing it for fun. Chemistry isn't fun.
    Do you cook?

Do you cook?
    oh don't get that started. that's another long stemmed debate on using exact amounts and "winging it"

+ Reply to Thread