Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone here into edible gardening?

good luck with that wildboar. grats on the new baby! =D

gardening, cooking, and sharpening my knives are my means to keep me sane. stuff going on in life takes a toll on a person. without these things i'd be more than likely in a straight jacket high on antipsychotics without it.

it's so very zen when you get into a routine of familiar motions such as cutting through veg, sharpening or digging, separating seedlings out, mixing up soil and digging up stuff. almost like meditation. nothing like it.

This is the first year i have not had a garden in 7 years... moving sucks.
    The last 2 years my brother and i have slowly expanded to 2 plots.
    Usually grow a few kinds of carrots, some garlic and onions, lots of kale, tomatos, arugula, eggplants, hungarian wax and jalapenos, green beans, peas, few kinds of heirloom beets and eggplants, squash. tons of herb varietals...
    We also have a small 10 tree orchard on the property as well as a few pear trees and one huge cherry.
    Lucky enough to have friends that are professional farmers and consultants to help us succeed.
    ill post some pics later.

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    only thing monsanto can't do to us is sue the hell out of the farmers since they can't even afford to grow their own produce as it stands. so there's no money to be made here monsanto!
    That hasn't stopped Monsanto before. They just put the poor ones out of business.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

deleted
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

What about edible underwear?
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

We grow potatoes, carrots, beets, rutabaga, strawberries. I want to plant some chives, and a few herbs as well. Likely do them in pots on the deck. Tomatoes I love to grow, but they are fickle here. I need a little hothouse.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Just some herbs. We steal from my in-laws for tomatoes, lettuce, etc.

You guys should definitely plant onions, garlic an anything in the allium family. They are edible, of course, but the flowers are unreal - huge, bright purples and pinks, that last for a while. There, I'm tapped out.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

There are some tomatoes that do well in northern climes. Look for Siberian varieties aand there is one that the US Air Force developed for growing in Greenland that I had one year that was pretty good.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I have a couple of raised beds in the back yard, butt growing things in them has become a challenge. The 2 young boy dogs are very inventive when it omes to defeating anti-digging measures.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

We grow a good variety of veg every summer and the deer are the biggest problem. We have two fenced in gardens and one that is not. I grow more herbs in that one, but something is always on the basil at some point. When I retire I'll have time to be more serious about it unless the guitar/amp repair thing takes off - who knows? I do want to fish & hunt more however as I have little time for that during the work seasons.