anyone here into edible gardening?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franzb69

Reaction score
like herbs and vegetables?

=D

i grow stuff from time to time.....

i'll start:

purple borlotto beans

20130227_172845_zps47dba2aa.jpg

thyme seedlings

20130227_172902_zps4fe19b67.jpg

french bean seedling

20130227_172840_zps1770c48c.jpg

soy beans/edamame

20130227_172835_zpsc35c6d7e.jpg

chervil

20130227_172804_zpsec09062f.jpg

artichoke seedlings

20130227_172741_zpsf7d9bab5.jpg

=D

thanks. i have a whole backyard to myself. but lately i've been lazy tending to my plants so i kinda let the whole place go. and i've been starting to get back into it.

Just do a small garden in the back, 7 tomato plants, 5 pepper plants, basil, cilantro

i got a couple of rows dedicated for edible gardening. i'll do pictures when i got stuff actually worth showing. =D

I've had a small herb garden for many years. I grow also grow heirloom maters in pots on the patio every year.

i got tons of heirloom tomato seeds bought and traded from gardening forums, but i just can't seem to grow them right. i've had more sucess with growing peppers and eggplants. would love tomatoes grown right.... heirloom tomatoes are mighty tasty and a great big middle finger to monsanto that's already getting its evil hand into our agriculture.

A few tomatoes. And it's time to start some seeds! Sungold cherry tomoatoes for sure, not sure which other kind. :bliss: Long season tomatoes can be kind of questionable grown here, the cherries do better. Some blueberry bushes stuck here and there, although they haven't done much other than have pretty leaves in the fall. LOTS of Chives. Started with one clump, and they are taking over. I might try making some rose petal jam this year. Lots of extremely fragrant, very colorful old old garden roses to try it with.

+1 to giving Monsanto the finger.

+1 to giving Monsanto the finger.

they already introduced GMO rice here. and rice is our life blood! this cannot continue!

there's a huge movement of organic produce here that's already steadily growing. but then also a huge demand for more "conventional" and industrial food production so ahh well.

only thing monsanto can't do to us is sue the hell out of the farmers since they can't even afford to grow their own produce as it stands. so there's no money to be made here monsanto!

=p

i've only been gardening for close to three years so... compared to knowing knives and other stuff.... this takes longer to learn..... patience is the one thing i got from all of this. which is awesome. didn't have a lot of that when i started out.

My wife is really into it, and I am the support staff. Usually have about 30 tomato plants, a dozen or so pepper plants, some squash, green beans and cucumbers. Some years she also tries lettuces, chives, etc. We have a pretty big herb garden going, with various basils, thymes, oreganos, rosemary, etc.

She usually has tomatoes and peppers sprouting from seeds by this time of year, but the new baby means we will likely wait and buy a bunch of established plants in late spring.

good luck with that wildboar. grats on the new baby! =D

gardening, cooking, and sharpening my knives are my means to keep me sane. stuff going on in life takes a toll on a person. without these things i'd be more than likely in a straight jacket high on antipsychotics without it.

it's so very zen when you get into a routine of familiar motions such as cutting through veg, sharpening or digging, separating seedlings out, mixing up soil and digging up stuff. almost like meditation. nothing like it.

This is the first year i have not had a garden in 7 years... moving sucks.
The last 2 years my brother and i have slowly expanded to 2 plots.
Usually grow a few kinds of carrots, some garlic and onions, lots of kale, tomatos, arugula, eggplants, hungarian wax and jalapenos, green beans, peas, few kinds of heirloom beets and eggplants, squash. tons of herb varietals...
We also have a small 10 tree orchard on the property as well as a few pear trees and one huge cherry.
Lucky enough to have friends that are professional farmers and consultants to help us succeed.
ill post some pics later.

only thing monsanto can't do to us is sue the hell out of the farmers since they can't even afford to grow their own produce as it stands. so there's no money to be made here monsanto!

That hasn't stopped Monsanto before. They just put the poor ones out of business.

We grow potatoes, carrots, beets, rutabaga, strawberries. I want to plant some chives, and a few herbs as well. Likely do them in pots on the deck. Tomatoes I love to grow, but they are fickle here. I need a little hothouse.

Just some herbs. We steal from my in-laws for tomatoes, lettuce, etc.

You guys should definitely plant onions, garlic an anything in the allium family. They are edible, of course, but the flowers are unreal - huge, bright purples and pinks, that last for a while. There, I'm tapped out.

There are some tomatoes that do well in northern climes. Look for Siberian varieties aand there is one that the US Air Force developed for growing in Greenland that I had one year that was pretty good.

I have a couple of raised beds in the back yard, butt growing things in them has become a challenge. The 2 young boy dogs are very inventive when it omes to defeating anti-digging measures.

We grow a good variety of veg every summer and the deer are the biggest problem. We have two fenced in gardens and one that is not. I grow more herbs in that one, but something is always on the basil at some point. When I retire I'll have time to be more serious about it unless the guitar/amp repair thing takes off - who knows? I do want to fish & hunt more however as I have little time for that during the work seasons.

The boyz just dug up the oregano.:eyebrow:

There are some tomatoes that do well in northern climes. Look for Siberian varieties aand there is one that the US Air Force developed for growing in Greenland that I had one year that was pretty good.
Any idea where to source seeds or names on variety's?

I found them at the Yuppie Bastard nurseries here in Portland, and I don't remember what the names of the varieties were.
I suspect that a properly worded Google search would turn up something, though.

Any idea where to source seeds or names on variety's?

try the tomatoville forum. they're more than willing to trade or sell for varieties. and you're sure to find tomato maniacs out there as much as we are knife nuts.

they have all kinds of seeds being traded around.... even give away seed for people to test.

super rare heirlooms, climate specific ones, gmo free hybrids, recent discoveries, etc.!

thems are good peoples

=D

I'm in central Texas, and most of my tomatoes are already in the ground. I've been eating lettuces and greens all winter, and fennel and beets for the past couple of weeks. Sugar snaps are a foot high, and just planted beans. Parsley, cilantro, rosemary, thyme, mint, tarragon, and oregano, too.

This is what things will look like by early May:

p454941227-4.jpg

Of course, by August, things will be pretty bleak!

now that garden is something i would certainly be supremely proud of! nothing close to what i have. lol.

We have a place up in Dutchess County, so the vegetable garden my wife tends is only active for the spring and summer. Her mainstay are tomatoes of various kinds, cucumbers (the best I've ever tasted) squash, zucchini, lettuce and herbs of all kinds. Deer are keep at bay with a perimeter 7' fence and the garden has its own 5' fence for the smaller critters. Her biggest chore is keeping it weeded.

i'm surprised with the fact that it's taken two years to even bring this topic up even if this place is about knives and cooking. =D

mkmk, that is a BEAUTIFUL garden!

I need to grow garlic again. Tried it one year and was amazed by the difference in home grown--almost like an apple in texture, it was so crisp and juicy. And the flavor....:drool:

Latest posts

Back