Quantcast
Wooden Box for Blade w/ Hone - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wooden Box for Blade w/ Hone

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Very nice Karring! Your design?
    The basic design, dimensions, and idea was mine, but the cover needed to be changed. I had originally wanted an inset cover held in by magnets, but flipping it over with the polarity of the magnets was an issue. Tom came up with the top design and handle. I also let him choose the wood with my only request that it look simple and classy with not too much bling.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Looks great! I could get used to having something like that.

Nice project

Very neat idea Karring. Elegant, and efficient way to travel for minor cutting sessions. Would definitely make a favorable impression at a dinner party, or what have you.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I've actually had a bit of a revelation in the last day or so on this box. My bench hone with magnetic pad fits perfectly inside it and allows for a 'double decker' knife box where I can store two layers of knives. See photo below. So I think now I am going to have Tom (the woodworker) make some planks with embedded magnets to-fit, and attach some very low-profile rubber feet to give clearance over the knife below. I figure that with the height I could stack knives in three levels, which means I can take 3-6 knives depending upon size of knives I want to take.

Also, my wife was picking up the house and she says to me: "Your fancy box looks nice in the center of our table." So for right now my bench hones, diamond spray, rock hard felt, extra corks etc. are all boxed up on the dining room table. Not a bad development I guess.

k.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Lovely box dude, love the corner jointing.

Ooo that turned out really well Karring.
    I really love the vintage one that Chuckles found too. I've never seen anything like either of them.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Jumping between this thread and Marko's DMT and strop thread has fireworks going off in my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Jumping between this thread and Marko's DMT and strop thread has fireworks going off in my brain.
    Now it is going off in my head too. Danke.

k.