Media Wooden Box for Blade w/ Hone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently had a razor storage box with built in stone and strop stumble into my kitchen. Not sure how common these are for razors. To date I have never seen a box like this for a kitchen knife. I wonder if anyone has one? Now who -Keeps A Respectable Razor Impersonating kNife Going? Anybody? I am dying to see pics. :whistling:

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

That is slick. Gives me done ideas for my next project for my travel stones

That is a very interesting idea ;)

I love that box you have there. Gives me some additional ideas for future projects.

And btw, I should have my hone/knife box early in the week. It is in the mail. And I have already talked with Tom Blevins a little bit about future designs, but I want to try mine out first. I am sure he would be super game to put together something like that one there.

k.

Not sure this one is even practical for kitchen size knives. But after seeing this - and finding out your project was in the works - I have been committing far too much brain activity to this. Especially considering I have absolutely no conceivable need for such an item.

What I really need is another gyuto..... or more handle wood for a knife I don't own....

I got my box in today, and here are some pics. What I wanted was a knife/storage box where I could store some knives and gear, and the cover would also act as a bench hone when flipped over. This way when I travel, I can just pack up the box with a knife or two and stropping kit.

The dimensions of the box are such to fit the bench hone and metal-backed strops that Dave used to sell. I am also going to cut a felt strop to size, so it fits on the rest of the magnetic strip/cover. The box top handle also acts as a stand, so the lid can be used as a stand along strop

Tom Blevins made the box, and it is of amazing quality. I am really happy with it, and I am going to play with it a bit and probably get another one made that is thinner and easier to travel with in my airline luggage. I've already talked with Tom about just embedding magnets into the cover so the metal-backed strop can be stored on the underside, and then put on top when needed.

It might also be interesting to have a sliding style like the box chuckles posted. Just thinking at this point.

k.

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

That's f'n awesome K! I so want one. The work looks great. Nice contrast, but still very simple and elegant.

Very nice Karring! Your design?

The basic design, dimensions, and idea was mine, but the cover needed to be changed. I had originally wanted an inset cover held in by magnets, but flipping it over with the polarity of the magnets was an issue. Tom came up with the top design and handle. I also let him choose the wood with my only request that it look simple and classy with not too much bling.

k.

Very neat idea Karring. Elegant, and efficient way to travel for minor cutting sessions. Would definitely make a favorable impression at a dinner party, or what have you.

I've actually had a bit of a revelation in the last day or so on this box. My bench hone with magnetic pad fits perfectly inside it and allows for a 'double decker' knife box where I can store two layers of knives. See photo below. So I think now I am going to have Tom (the woodworker) make some planks with embedded magnets to-fit, and attach some very low-profile rubber feet to give clearance over the knife below. I figure that with the height I could stack knives in three levels, which means I can take 3-6 knives depending upon size of knives I want to take.

Also, my wife was picking up the house and she says to me: "Your fancy box looks nice in the center of our table." So for right now my bench hones, diamond spray, rock hard felt, extra corks etc. are all boxed up on the dining room table. Not a bad development I guess.

k.

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

Lovely box dude, love the corner jointing.:biggrin:

Ooo that turned out really well Karring.
I really love the vintage one that Chuckles found too. I've never seen anything like either of them.

Back