Quantcast
Shigefusa Kasumi double bevel - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shigefusa Kasumi double bevel

Nice review. There are so many knives that are very popular yet nobody has ever made a definitive review of them unfortunately

I found my Shig to be terribly reactive, when it had the stock finish, but after refinishing it several times, it became much less reactive. I've never tried a stock Shig, as mine was bought used and had been significantly thickened behind the edge, and I have mine very, very thin, heel to tip, and it cuts wonderfully. Keeps the edge well enough, but I'm not a professional chef. I go to 4k or 5k, followed by 1um boron loaded leather strop, with most of my kitchen knives.

Always refreshing to hear your honest opinion Mike. I have to agree with your assessment btw- I played with passaround Shig earlier this year, and wasn't terribly impressed. I actually prefer your refurbed Ino TBO.

Nothing touches the Kato yet though Very curious what steel he's using...
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

Is the Shigefusa core steel very similar to Hitachi white #1 or #2. Sounds this is true after Bieniek's comments above.

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    I never use Kato /Itinomonn /Gesshin Ittetsu, can't comment on those knives. for overall cutting performance between Yoshikane(V2) and Shig(Swedish Carbon) My vote goes to Shigefusa easy!!

Yeah because for some jobs Shig will outperform many other knives, if we talk cutting ease and feedback. But the V2 gets sharper. And the Yosh Ive used was very impressive[grind] - not that ugly finishing job

What about edges retention?

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Yeah because for some jobs Shig will outperform many other knives, if we talk cutting ease and feedback. But the V2 gets sharper. And the Yosh Ive used was very impressive[grind] - not that ugly finishing job

I've only used V2 on a Kochi and I think I could get it at least as sharp as my Shig if not sharper but I think this is geometry related. I do think the Shig holds the edge a bit better than the Kochi (again my guess is geometry), though the Kochi was much less expensive knife. All that said, it's been a while since I had a Kochi so that is just my memory; seemed it needed a touch up about twice as often as my Shig. I think that V2 might be my favorite steel yet that I have owned.

I agree with others that Kato has changed my outlook on gyutos in general. I didn't use it long enough to get a feel for retention, but it was a cutting BEAST.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    I've only used V2 on a Kochi and I think I could get it at least as sharp as my Shig if not sharper but I think this is geometry related. I do think the Shig holds the edge a bit better than the Kochi (again my guess is geometry), though the Kochi was much less expensive knife. All that said, it's been a while since I had a Kochi so that is just my memory; seemed it needed a touch up about twice as often as my Shig. I think that V2 might be my favorite steel yet that I have owned.

I agree with others that Kato has changed my outlook on gyutos in general. I didn't use it long enough to get a feel for retention, but it was a cutting BEAST.
    The retention is great on mine. I'm still constantly amazed by it overall. And to quote Mike(Bienek)- I'm not a shill for Maksim. Just really impressed with how the Kato feels and performs overall. I do really want to give a kochi a try now though, some folks I respect on here keep saying it's a performer. And I'll probably be spending my end of summer loyalty bonus on whatever Marko has in development come August. I feel like he's analyzing all these other knives we keep talking about and constantly creating a better gyuto. He's like a mixture of Michealangelo and Stephen Hawking...
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post

V2 steel is very easy to sharping and take super keen edge! However, I couldn't get V2 sharper than Shig... from my experience, the Shigefusa seems to hold a better edge!! for the edge retention, IMO, Shigefusa kitaji > Shig kasumi > Yoshikane V2(better HT than Kochi V2??) > Kochi V2. but, Kochi V2 cutting performance is better than Yoshikane V2
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    V2 steel is very easy to sharping and take super keen edge! However, I couldn't get V2 sharper than Shig... from my experience, the Shigefusa seems to hold a better edge!! for the edge retention, IMO, Shigefusa kitaji > Shig kasumi > Yoshikane V2(better HT than Kochi V2??) > Kochi V2. but, Kochi V2 cutting performance is better than Yoshikane V2
    where does a kochi in blue steel fit in this equation?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    where does a kochi in blue steel fit in this equation?
    can't comment!! never use kochi in blue steel ......for my knowledge, blue#2 with more wear resistance but not as keen edge as V2!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

+ Reply to Thread