Mystery stone. Help needed to identify...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkhoek

Banned
Reaction score
:whiteflag:

I got a mysterystone in a while ago, but can't figure out what it might be. I have tested it and put it out on my blog, but I have never seen anything like it before :pullhair: Anyone? :pullhair:

http://*****************.com/2011/05/mystery-stone-nice-pre-finisher-for.html

DarkHOeK

Ohira Kiita with black nashiji :) is my guess !

Usually unknown stones is from Ohira mine, many of them did not have any stamp and that mine is still active. Skin looks like from that mine too very brownish.
You got your self very good stone :) I love these soft stones for knifes some call them "Uchigomori" like the strata in Tenjyou these stones do not sharpen much but get contrast out of the steel.

Ohira Kiita with black nashiji :) is my guess !

Usually unknown stones is from Ohira mine, many of them did not have any stamp and that mine is still active. Skin looks like from that mine too very brownish.
You got your self very good stone :) I love these soft stones for knifes some call them "Uchigomori" like the strata in Tenjyou these stones do not sharpen much but get contrast out of the steel.

Thanks Max. Your input is highly appreciated. What you describe sounds a lot like the stone in question. Perhaps it will also do a good job with bringing out contrast in damascus.....
Other opinions or guesses are welcome :) I know there is a lot of knowledge out there. Bring it on!

DarkHOeK

Back