gesshin ginga?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefStokely

Reaction score
what is the big difference in the white #2 and stainless gesshin ginga? pros and cons of each? looking to buy it soon

Are you talking about geometry, profile, thickness, etc.? Based on my conversations with Jon, they're essentially the exact same knife - profile, dimensions, geometry - except for the steel. White #2 is a carbon steel and the stainless, is just that.

I have a 240 White #2 wa gyuto and I love it.

I also have a white #2 240 and man is that thing awesome!
i have been using it for two weeks and it is the most comfortable knife i have ever used. light as a feather, great geometry, great fit and finish, all around winner. i'd highly recommend.
i chose white steel (actually against jon's recommendation, as i work in an extremely hectic kitchen and handle a lot of acidic foods) because i love to sharpen white steel, and i wanted a carbon gyuto to train me into being extremely fastidious with my knife. so far, i do not regret this choice, and the reactivity of the steel is quite manageable, no rust, just forming a nice patina.

if you do go carbon, get some pure acetone to remove the baked on lacquer or else you'll get a funny patina where it wears off, and the knife will feel gummy too.
also, i made a 50/50 mix of beeswax and tsubaki oil to condition the handle and saya, they are looking nice!

fyi, the blade is balanced right at the first character engraving/stamp, a little ways up the blade, just right for me (pinch!)

Back