Hattori FH vs Gesshin Ginga

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drake

Reaction score
I am looking to get a 270 suji and these are both around the same price. Opinions?

I'd say the FH will have a nicer handle but the Ginga will outperform it by some way. I'd probably go for the Ginga

I would like to try the FH, but I'm very happy with my ginga :)

How much flex are you looking for? The Hattori FH is quite a bit stiffer than the Gesshin Ginga. It's also a tad taller - ~39mm at the heel vs ~37mm.

In my experience, the VG10 of the Hattori is absolutely comparable to the undisclosed steel in the Gesshin Ginga.

I have to give the nod to the handle of the Hattori. You can get cocobolo or ebony as well as black linen Micarta, while the Gesshin Ginga is available only with the plain black scales.

The Gesshin Ginga also comes with a saya, that will cost you around $20-25 extra from JCK (if you want a saya, that is).

Rick

Find a coin. Make heads represent the Hattori, and tails the Ginga. Flip the coin. Buy the knife that the coin tells you to, from a great vendor (either guy). Love your knife.

Easey-peesy!

Hmmmm wasnt expecting them to be so similar. Is the Hattori as thin? I know it is cheaper which is also appealing.

The Hattori FH is not a thin knife. It has just enough extra material to make it a stiff knife, without being too thick. The Hattori handles are the most comfortable to be found on a production knife.

I don't own a Gesshin Ginga, but everything I've seen and heard, they are an excellent knife and would not hesitate to purchase one.

My personal preference is for a stiffer knife. So the Hattori was a good choice for me.

Jay

Have the Hattori 240 gyuto with cocobolo and 150 petty in blackwood. Both are awesome knives that can get wicked sharp. The handles are top notch, but the spine on them are not rounded. For the petty it's obviously not a problem. But for the gyuto it was discouraging, so I rounded out off myself. It gave the knife a whole new life for me. It looks and feels a Lot thinner, and has gotten a lot more use lately.
I say go Hattori

Back