Quantcast
Picture attachments?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture attachments?

Picture attachments?

I read the sticky at the top of this page, but it looks to me like some members have been able to post picture attachments to the forum. Is this just a matter of membership post count and seniority, or am I mistaken?

My preferred method of sharing images on the forum is as attachments, since if something changes or goes south on the image hosting site I use, the images will still be available. I'm happy to do it either way though.
    - Sean

I go with image shack and just drag and drop images there tool bar help's

Yeah I have a photobucket account and I have used it here and elsewhere for posting images, but it's not what I prefer mainly for the reason mentioned above.
    - Sean

I may be lying, but I think attachments are for vendors only as a way to save server space? Dave will no. I never tried, I have accounts with imageshack, flickr, picasa and photobucket - can't seem to make up my mind...

Stefan

Ah that would make sense I suppose. I don't remember whose posts I have seen that have attachments or nor do I know exactly who all the vendors are. I don't mind as most other forums I visit require pictures to be posted elsewhere.
    - Sean

Picture posting is what's killing KF right now so I don't think attachments are a good ide.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Pictures are a HUGE forum killer and costly as well. They stack up over time and you have to pay to store them. I hope to one day be able to allow everyone to upload attachments (vendors only at the moment) but for now we are small and have to be careful and stay within our limits. I'm just being cautious although I can appreciate that it's a pain in the ass to host offsite.

I was just wondering: I upload to all these photo sites and everything is a mess at this time. On the other hand, I am paying a provider monthly to host my website and I seem to have unlimited space there. I have a feeling, it should be easy to ftp and host my pictures there somehow but I wouldn't know how to go about it and how to come up with the codes for linking them to the forums. Could anybody help out with that? Probably would be best per PM.

Thanks,

Stefan

Stefan,

Just create directory in on your website called images in the top directory. Place your images in it and then link them using http://www.japanesehandles.com/images/imagename.jpg
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

I host my own photos when I post them. It's an extra step, but not that much of a problem. The one problem with individuals hosting is that when their accounts are deleted, websites die etc. the photos also disappear. Legacy posts may be compromised over time.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

+ Reply to Thread