New knife time - need suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agp

Reaction score
So I have 3 knives in my arsenal so far - one 270mm carbon steel gyuto, one 240mm stainless gyuto, and a stainless Chinese cleaver. I am looking for a fourth knife, preferably something smaller and more versatile. Maybe a santoku? My budget is low and I am somewhat picky about what I want, please see if you can help! Thank you!

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
Santoku. Or something equally versatile. No more gyutos though.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
My gyutos are all a little big. I want something shorter and easier to handle.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- somewhat important. I want something that looks shiny. Or damascus steel of some sort.
Edge Quality/Retention- I sharpen my CS gyuto once every five months or so, and it's holding up very well.
Ease of Use- 240mm is a little too long. Maybe 210mm will be perfect? Lighter is always better as well.
Comfort- I don't cook often enough to notice the comfort or the lackthereof in my current knives.

What grip do you use?
Hammer/pinch

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
Rock

Where do you store them?
In my bedroom, in a paper box.

Have you ever oiled a handle?
Never, I have oiled guitar fingerboards though.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
I have a plastic one and quite a few laminated wood ones.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
Nothing so far - what's the cheapest yet most effective one to use?

Have they ever been sharpened?
Yes, I don't mind sharpening as long as it's not tough stainless steel. The easier to sharpen the better.

What is your budget?
$100? The cheaper the better. I do not mind buying used.

What do you cook and how often?
Everyday, at home.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
Japanese handle please!

Before suggesting anything, can you explain why you bought the knives in the sizes you did? Also I would ask what gyutos you currently own?

how big is your cleaver? have you considered a cck? pretty cheap, good geometry, pretty compact actually only 210 in length. i know very little about santokus. but i think you could get one for about 100 that performs well.

Hiromoto AS 190mm, Lignum 3 by Robert Herder, Solingen,
none of them is deadly flat. See it as a short wider gyuto with a lower tip.

Before suggesting anything, can you explain why you bought the knives in the sizes you did? Also I would ask what gyutos you currently own?

They are all from China. I practiced my sharpening on the 270 the most, as you can see from all the scratches. The other two I have owned for a while, never sharpened them seriously though.

Summit-20130305-00305_zpsb7723fa4.jpg

how big is your cleaver? have you considered a cck? pretty cheap, good geometry, pretty compact actually only 210 in length. i know very little about santokus. but i think you could get one for about 100 that performs well.

See above for cleaver size. I will look into CCK but I am looking for something that is not a cleaver, preferably.

Hiromoto AS 190mm, Lignum 3 by Robert Herder, Solingen,
none of them is deadly flat. See it as a short wider gyuto with a lower tip.

I need something with a Japanese handle please, these are all European.

Back