Quantcast
Whats your all time favorite carbon 240mm gyuto?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats your all time favorite carbon 240mm gyuto?!

Whats your all time favorite carbon 240mm gyuto?!

hey guys im just really interested in peoples opinions on a carbon 240 gyuto as im think off investing around $500-$1000 into one nice knife soon. please explain why in detail e.g. profile, weight, feel, handle, steel ,edge retention ,maker, heat treat ,tallnes and more

thanks guys
    jai

Please explain in detail what characteristics you are looking for.

Western or Wa-handled?

Are you looking for it to "fall through" food, or have good release of what you've cut?

Do you want a tall blade at the heel?

Monosteel, san mai, stainless clad?

If you have difficulties expressing your preferences, I politely suggest that you have no business buying a high-end knife until you do. If that's the case, buy a couple of very different knives, use them for a while and get to know what you like and dislike about them. You'll be in a much better position to spend that kind of cash on your high-end knife. To name two to start with, the Masamoto KS wa-gyuto and the Misono Swedish gyuto.

Rick

im asking what your favorite carbon 240 gyuto is not for help buying my own or advice i just want to see what others like and enjoy to use.I currently own a tanaka 240 r2 ironwood gyuto and a kono hd i also own various other knives in blue,white and AS steels i have used all these knives in a professional enviroment for hundreds of hours of prep and line use. sorry if the way i worded my thread was misinforming

jai

sorry if that sounded rude was just trying to put the point foward that all i want is for people to tell me there favorite knife and why in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by jai View Post
    sorry if that sounded rude was just trying to put the point foward that all i want is for people to tell me there favorite knife and why in detail.
    I jumped to the conclusion that you were looking for a recommendation. Sorry.

Masamoto ks or shigefusa more towards shigefusa though

In terms known brands excluding custom makers

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I jumped to the conclusion that you were looking for a recommendation. Sorry.
    no problem at all

Mine is soon to be the Dave Martell re-handled misono... As soon as my mail lady drops it off =)

Engorged Member
    Devin Thomas 230mm Mystery Carbon Gyuto. I bought it from Devin when I was at his house. I also own a Devin Thomas ITK 52100 and while the 52100 is pretty great, the Mystery Carbon is just better.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...t-Gyuto-review
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Kitaeji Shig with Marko Octagon Handle - I will update if Marko and Mario's are more better after I get them but for now the Shig is just pure pleasure to cut with and as a homey (cook), I just don't need to do more than touch it up to keep it and me happy.