Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help ID an old Deba knife

Help ID an old Deba knife

Anyone here read Japanese? A buddy brought in an old knife to work to see if I could sharpen it on my Tormek. Turns out it is a 180mm Deba with Japanese markings on it. His parents got it 40 some years ago and his wife was trying to use it as a chef's knife (and was very frustrated with it, for obvious reasons). Not sure what kind of steel, simple wood handle. Probably not a top of the line, steel looks stamped, not folded or clad. But I'd be interested in what the lettering says.

Thanks.

Picture?

Quote Originally Posted by StonedEdge View Post
    Picture?
    I don't think I can post one yet. Will post when that feature is available to me.

Let me try this one:

The first two characters (bottom in your pic) indicate the type of steel. I cannot tell you more.
    BTW the picture should be flipped vertically to read japanese.

No mention of the steel. The first set of characters say 'registered' and the second are 'Sho (or Shou) Riki' which may indicate the maker but I can't find anything specific for such a maker.

It looked like 鋼 which means hagane (steel), but it is partially worn off. I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by woodworkcan View Post
    It looked like 鋼 which means hagane (steel), but it is partially worn off. I agree with you.
    Oh... it is soooo easy to get mixed up. I spent enough years living in Japan to attain a certain fluency but I also lost a lot of brain cells getting choked out

Thanks all. I rotated the image on Dropbox. I'm uploading one that has the handle but most of those characters are worn through.