Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: History on Forgecraft knives; please educate me

hickory
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    hickory
    Your probably right, looks an very close to oak too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Son's last post is especially true. The one that I sold to Huw is one of the finest vintage grinds I've seen/used. Karring's is my all-time favourite, though.

Man, I love vintage carbon.
    Cheers Tom. I'm certainly enjoying it! I was über impressed with the grind also. Although I have very little experience to compare it with. I'm glad I started out with a great example
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Son's last post is especially true. The one that I sold to Huw is one of the finest vintage grinds I've seen/used. Karring's is my all-time favourite, though.

Sorry I missed this thread. I'm sitting in Starbucks, trying to cram for a classification exam and here I am reading through this. Haha. As for Old Hickory, I have two bullnoses by them that are maybe, just maybe superior to Forgecraft. Beautiful, heavy nosed knives. Man, I love vintage carbon.
    Are they fordgecraft or old hickory that's coming my way?
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Thread rehash for you experts. I want to roughly date this Forgecraft. I bought two off of Ebay and one was workable though I have now sent it to Dave for an expert thinning. I put an edge on it that I could deal with but it really needed a full thinning where I would lose a lot of the marking character. I used this knife for a while but it was wedging so bad I decided it was time for a rehab. I love the edge potential of this knife.

The other knife has an edge with up to 1mm of waviness in a couple spots. It's going to have to become a suji/yuto to become workable. I'm waiting to have some extra funds to have somebody professionally work on it.

The handle is in surprisingly good shape and the little bit of rust that was on it was really easy to remove with BKF only scrubbed off with a cork. The black striations look great but I fear with the slightly thick looking geometry it would lose a lot of that character with a full rehab. This and insufficient funds have kept me from having this project tackled.

The coolest thing about this blade is that it looks like it's double struck. This makes it difficult to date in comparison. I'd love one of you experts to see if you could put an approximate date on it.

It has been double struck , is it a 8in or 10in version. It looks like it may have jumped out of the slot when it was struck and placed back in and restruck. I'm going to say late 60's judging by the full tail on the G., thicker larger r trade mark and poor thick grind. It's very classic late sixties.

My immediate thought was mid-sixties, but Son knows much more about them than I do. In fact, he got me started on Forgecraft. Until then, I was chasing old Lamsons, Dexters and Sabs.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Adding another stamp shot to the Forgecraft library. It looks deeply struck as well:

Do you reckon this is one of the earlier ones? I'd be glad to describe it better once it arrives in the mail, but the guy who done sold it took a good shot.

I want to say fifties, It looks similar to the one I posted but, just a little bit different in the ft on the end. Very nice mark though.

I want to say fifties, It looks similar to the one I posted but, just a little bit different in the ft on the end. Very nice mark though.