>> Suisin INOX Honyaki vs. Tadatsuna INOX <<

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melampus

Reaction score
Ahhh, the age old question... :eyebrow:

Who has both or used both together extensively for a long while, and an opinion to share? Everyone seems to think its 6 one way, half-a-dozen the other.

I think both have exceptional fit and finish. Both have exceptional handles. The Tad I handled had the nicest stock saya I've seen. I think Jon noted the Suisin heat treat bested the Tad...man, its like picking between a Benz or a Beemer...

Most comparisons end up ignoring the profile, grind and steel because they are so similar as to make it meaningless to try to differentiate them using those criteria.

The Suisin knives have nicer handles, IMO, with a rounded bottom (see Karl's (Hattorichop) Hinoura style wa handle thread - http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/10980-Hinoura-Style-Wa-Handle. I believe they are made from Japanese yew rather than magnolia (ho wood).

The Tadatsuna knives have engraved kanji, rather than screened.

The biggest difference at the moment is price; since Suisin raised their price last year, Tadatsuna is a comparitive bargain.

Rick

The Kanji is a non-issue w/me. Cost is a factor, but doesn’t make a difference in the ultimate decision. Profile is my main concern. I have spent a lot of time with a “pass around” Suisin 270 honyaki gyuto, and undeniably love it. It's awesome for me... period. I LOVE my Suisin INOX Honyaki 240 Gyuto. It is my number one favorite knife out of all my Konosukes, Tanakas, Moritakas, Carter, Kanehiros, Tamahaganes, Tojiros, Kyoceras, etc., but I always wanna try something different. I can't imagine any package being better for me then the Suisin, but you never know till you try.

They [Tad & Sui] both have 260mm cutting edges & they both are 50mm tall. Perfect for me, and the Suisins have something very distinct whereas they have the slightest of concave in their spine created from where the tip actually begins to rise off centerline as it extends away from the heel. Very hard for me to describe, but extremely noticeable. This is the major discernable difference I can recognize in their profile from any other knife I see. The R!chmond Laser exhibits a curiously similar profile, but I can’t imagine I’ll see the same F&F from them as I have from Suisin. The Tsutomu Kajihara share said concave, but they don’t have the same rise with their tip, they employ way too much belly for me, they are too tall with too much of that height carrying all the way up to the tip, and they‘re reactive.

I love both HD & 19c27 steels, but I prefer my second generation Kono Hds’ steel to my Suisin’s INOX. In the same breath, I prefer Suisin’s profile and size. My Kono is 276mm at the edge. I love her, but the 260 is slightly more versatile for me.

Like I said, the Suisin is really perfect for me, but I can’t help but hope that maybe - just maybe there’s something else. The Tadatsuna is really the only plausible competition I can see, but from a picture, she just doesn’t impress me.

Honestly, the impetus to my question is in that I will be acquiring a 270 Suisin soon… unless I can find an option I have yet to find. I’m slightly hesitant because I already have the 240. The Tadatsuna just doesn’t look to have the aspect of the profile I’m looking for, and I’m hearing nothing definitive that really steers me to her otherwise. I just saw her listed @$320 though, sans saya, I think.

That deal left me thinking...

Thank you for your input, thus far.

Latest posts

Back